- Complete the FAFSA: The FAFSA application is your first step in the financial aid process. You can list up to ten schools to receive your application, so make sure you list Tarleton on your application! (School Code: 003631)
- Tarleton Reviews Application: Tarleton Office of Financial Aid will receive your application from the Department of Education and begin to review the information you’ve submitted. The information on your application is how the type and amount of aid you qualify for is determined.
- Receive Aid Notification: Once your application is reviewed and aid is determined, the Tarleton Office of Financial Aid will send out financial aid award notifications. This process begins in December!
Early Spring-Late Summer
- Review and Accept Awards: You have received your aid letter, but need help understanding it. Visit our Next Steps page to watch a video on how to read your aid letter, learn what your next steps are, and make an appointment with your financial aid advisor.
- Complete Outstanding Items: Monitor your myGateway to see which steps you will need to complete for all required financial aid items.
One Month Prior to Class
- Billing Statement Released: Your statement will be released with your estimated financial aid amount. You will receive a notice to your university email address (@go.tarleton.edu) once your statement is ready to view.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Tarleton does not mail paper statements. You can view/pay statements through Texan Bill Pay.
Two Weeks Before Class
- Financial Aid Disbursed: Your Financial Aid will disburse 10 days before the first day of the semester. Remember, you DO NOT have to accept any or all of the aid offered to you.
- Check for Outstanding Items: Check your myGateway account one more time to make sure you do not have any outstanding items that will keep your aid from dispersing (example: loan entrance counseling).
- Submit Payment: Bills are due 7 days before the start of the semester. Don’t worry! There are payment options if you are not prepared to pay the balance for the semester. Take a look at our payment plan and short term loan options. Here is a video about how to use our Texan Bill Pay system.
First Week of Class
- Receive Refund: For some students, the amount of financial aid accepted may exceed your bill or some of your aid is applied after you have made a payment. In this case, Tarleton’s Office of Business Services will issue a refund 10 business days after the payment deadline. Learn more about the refund process here.