Residency for In-State Tuition

Texas law authorizes persons classified as Texas residents to pay in-state tuition, a rate of tuition that is generally three times lower than for those classified as non-residents.

Residency for tuition purposes is different from residency for voting, obtaining a driver’s license, or tax purposes.

Determining Residency

When you apply to Tarleton State University, the answers to the residency questions on the application will determine if you receive in-state tuition or non-resident tuition. It is your responsibility to answer all questions honestly during the application process. 

The student has the burden of proof to show by clear and convincing evidence that residence or domicile, as appropriate, has been established and maintained according to the rules. If you believe that your residency status may be incorrect at the time of your application or if your residency status has changed, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Establishing Residency

Students can obtain Texas Residency in several ways.

The following requirements are required to obtain Texas Residency through graduation:

  • Graduate from a high school or GED program
  • Reside in Texas for the 36 consecutive months leading to graduation from a Texas high school or GED program
  • Maintain a residence in Texas for the 12 months leading up to enrollment in an institution of higher education

Any individual wishing to qualify under this provision who is not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States must complete and submit an Affidavit of Intent to Become a Permanent Resident to the Undergraduate Office of Admissions.

The following requirements apply when establishing domicile or permanent residence in the State of Texas:

  • A U.S. Citizen (Texas non-resident) or an international student (permanent resident meeting F-1 visa requirements or immigrant status) must live in Texas for 12 consecutive months
  • Establish a domicile for 12 consecutive months, by proving one of the following:
    • Ownership of a home in Texas
    • Ownership of a business in Texas
    • Professionally licensed to practice or conduct business in the State of Texas
    • Be gainfully employed in a position not related to student status. Student worker positions, internships, and graduate assistantships may not be used as a basis for establishing residency in Texas.
    • Are married to a Texas resident, and have resided in the state of Texas for at least 12 months

The following non-U. S. citizens are eligible to establish and maintain domicile in Texas:

  • A Permanent Resident;
  • A person who is eligible for permanent resident status
  • A nonimmigrant who holds one of the types of visas identified as eligible to domicile;
  • A person classified by the USCIS as a Refugee, Asylee, Parolee, Conditional Permanent Resident, or Temporary Resident;
  • A person holding Temporary Protected Status, and spouses and children with approved petitions under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), an applicant with an approved USCIS I-360, and a person granted deferred action status by USCIS;
  • A person who has filed an application for Cancellation of Removal and Adjustment of Status under Immigration Nationality Act 240A(b) or a Cancellation of Removal and Adjustment of Status under the Nicaraguan and Central American Relief Act (NACARA), Haitian Refugee Immigrant Fairness Act (HRIFA), or the Cuban Adjustment Act, and who has been issued a fee/filing receipt or Notice of Action by USCIS; and
  • A person who has filed for adjustment of status to that of a person admitted as a Permanent Resident under 8 United States Code 1255, or under the “registry” program (8 United States Code 1259), or the Special Immigrant Juvenile Program (8 USC 1101(a)(27)(J)) and has been issued a fee/filing receipt or Notice of Action by USCIS

Domicile Visa Types

To search by Visa Type, please type the first letter and a hyphen to filter the results (ex. A-). To search the Visa Categories, please enter a keyword describing the visa.

wdt_ID Visa Type Nonimmigrant (Temporary) Visa Categories
1 A-1 Ambassadors, public ministers or career diplomats and their immediate family members
2 A-2 Other accredited officials or employees of foreign governments and their immediate family members
3 A-3 Personal attendants, servants or employees and their immediate family members of A-1 and A-2 visa holders
4 E-1 Treaty traders, spouse and children
5 E-2 Treaty investors, spouse and children
6 G-1 Principal resident representative of recognized foreign member government to international organization, and members of immediate family.
7 G-2 Other accredited representatives of recognized foreign member governments to international organization and their immediate family members
8 G-3 Representatives of non-recognized or nonmember government to international organization, and members of immediate family
9 G-4 International organization officer or employee, and their immediate family members
10 G-5 Attendants, servants and personal employees of G-1, G-2, G-3 or G-4 visa holders and their immediate family members
Visa Type Nonimmigrant (Temporary) Visa Categories

Am I an Independent or Dependent Student?

Independent students are those who provide more than half of their own financial support and are not eligible to be claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes.

The residency for tuition purposes of a student who is not independent is based upon that of the parent or court-appointed legal guardian who claims that student as a dependent or provides more than half that student’s financial support, regardless of the length of time the student has resided in Texas. If the parent or court-appointed legal guardian of a dependent student meets the criteria of having established residency for tuition purposes, the dependent student is eligible to pay resident tuition. Parents and legal guardians qualify for residency following the same criteria as independent students.

If your parents live outside of the State of Texas, you are not eligible to establish Texas residency while being claimed as a dependent in another state.

Reclassification of Residency

Current students that are enrolled at Tarleton State University may submit an Application for Reclassification once they (independent) or their parents (if parents claim a student as a dependent) have lived in Texas for 12 consecutive months and submit supporting documentation to prove their residency status. Additional documentation may be required to establish Texas residency. Residency rules are subject to change at any time due to Texas legislation.

If a parent claims the student on income tax, they must attach the first page of the taxes that list the student as a dependent for the year prior and year of enrollment. If a student or parent would like to file for residency reclassification, they must submit proof of domicile and presence in the State of Texas as stated in the Application for Reclassification.

Please submit documentation to:
Undergraduate Admissions
Box T-0030
Stephenville, TX 76402

Residency applications for reclassification must be submitted by the official census date of the relevant term in order for a Texas resident classification to be effective for that current semester. If a student meets requirements after the official census date, the reclassification will be applied to the next relevant term.

Resident military personnel and their dependents are classified as residents, provided they maintain Texas as the Official Home of Record with the military service. Non-resident military personnel must submit an Active Duty Military Certification form to receive the tuition waiver.

Establishment of a domicile in Texas requires twelve consecutive months physical presence in the state. The military member must simultaneously file a copy of the DD2058 used to change state of legal residence to Texas and additional appropriate documentation to change his or her military records to reflect Texas as the state of legal residency. A student must also submit the Application for Reclassification form and provide appropriate supporting documentation as stated in the form.

The spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who has been assigned to duty elsewhere immediately following assignment to duty in Texas is entitled to pay the tuition fees and other fees or charges provided for Texas residents, as long as:

  • The spouse or child resides continuously in Texas, or
  • Non-resident military personnel who have separated or retired from military service while stationed in Texas and who intend to remain in Texas may be classified as residents provided certain actions are taken by the soldier one year prior to enrollment.

Senate Bill 297 allows veterans/spouses/children to move to Texas and pay the in-state tuition rate if they are eligible for benefits under the federal Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (38 U.S.C. Section 3301 et seq.), or any other federal law authorizing educational benefits for veterans as long as they reside in Texas while attending college. If the student is the child of a veteran, they must be 25 years old or younger at the beginning of the relevant term, unless granted a hardship extension. The child may be a step-child of the veteran. The form must be completed and returned to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions prior to the census date (12th class day) of the semester. The form will allow the tuition waiver to be applied to receive in state tuition for each semester the student remains eligible moving forward. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will need to verify eligibility with Tarleton’s Office of Veteran Services, so in conjunction with completing the form, the student will need to contact Veteran Services to inquire about having the educational benefits certified before the waiver can be applied.

Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for information.

Non-residents (including citizens and permanent residents of the U.S. and all foreign students) employed by public institutions of higher education as research or teaching assistants on at least a half-time basis in a position related to their degree programs are entitled to pay the resident tuition rate at any public institution of higher education in the state for themselves, their spouses and children regardless of how long they have lived in the state. The institutions that employ the students shall determine whether or not the students’ jobs relate to their degree programs. It is the intent of this rule that employment is for the duration of the period of enrollment for which a waiver is awarded. If the spouse or children attend an institution other than the one employing the research or teaching assistant, they must provide their college proof of his/her current employment. These requests should be directed to the College of Graduate Studies at 254-968-9104.

Teachers and professors employed at least half time on a regular monthly salary basis by any Texas public institution of higher education, may pay the same tuition as a resident of Texas for themselves, their spouses, and their dependent children, regardless of the length of resident in the state if their effective date of employment is on or prior to the official census date of the relevant term(s). To be entitled to pay the resident tuition fees, such employment from the director of personnel or a designated representative of the institution of higher education by which he or she is employed. This provision applies to eligible teachers and professors and their dependents no matter which Texas public institution of higher education they may attend. It is the intent of this rule that employment is for the duration of the period of enrollment for which a waiver is awarded. Email these requests to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or call 254-968-9752.

If you were denied residency by a residency officer, you can appeal this decision. You will need to write a letter stating why you should be considered as Texas resident and provide any additional information to support your residency claim. The Residency Appeals Committee will review the appeal. These letters along with supporting documentation should be mailed to Undergraduate Admissions, Box T-0030, Stephenville, Texas 76402.

Please complete the Residency Reclassification Form. If you have any questions or need further information on residency, please email the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or call 254-968-9752.

It is the responsibility of each student to verify his/her residency status prior to the start of a semester and request any change or update any errors to their residency status prior to the census date of that semester.