Archives and Special Collections
The Library offers public access to a wide range of information, including historical materials that may contain offensive or inappropriate language and/or depictions. Such materials must be viewed in the context of the relevant time period. Tarleton State University and its Libraries do not endorse the views expressed in such materials and assume no legal liability related to its usage.
By appointment only
Monday—Friday: 9:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m.
Tarleton State University
1333 W. Washington
Stephenville, Texas 76402
Dick Smith Library
Special Collections Suite – Room B09
Quick Tips for Visiting and Using Specials Collections and Archives
- Contact us in advance: Many of our collections are housed in an offsite location; therefore, advance notice is required with time allowed to retrieve the records. There may be occasions when staffing or weather conditions may delay or prevent retrieval of the records. Materials in Special Collections and Archives do not circulate and must be used in the library.
- Parking: If you are not associated with the University, you will need a visitor’s permit to park on campus. Contact Parking Services to arrange for a visitor’s permit.
- Directions: Turn into the campus from W. Washington onto N. Lillian. Take a right when the stone wall running along Lillian ends. Parking Lot 12 for visitors is on the left. Visitors will have to walk to the right to the front of the building to enter the library.
- Copies: Cell phones and cameras without flash may be used to take pictures for personal research only. Archival materials may only be photocopied or scanned by staff.
- Items allowed in the Special Collections Suite: The only items allowed in the suite are paper, pencils (no pens), laptops and tablets (no cases), and cameras and cell phones (without flash) for taking photographs. All other items must be put in the area provided outside the room for the duration of your visit.
Special Collections Suite Regulations (effective October 2018)