TExES Testing Requirements Prior to Clinical Teaching or Year-long Residency for Traditional Undergraduate Teacher Education Candidates have changed as of the Spring 2021 semester. Refer to your Certification Testing Handbook or contact the Coordinator of Certification Testing for detailed information. Testing Requirements are subject to change without advanced notice.
Elementary Education students with concentrations in EC-6 and 4-8 Core Subjects, 4-8 English, Language Arts and Reading, or 4-8 English Language Arts and Reading/Social Studies will be required to take and pass the new Science of Teaching Reading (Exam #293) if being recommended for teacher certification after 12/31/2020. Additional information is included in this notice provided by TEA. It will be necessary for all program completers to apply for certification early enough to meet the recommendation deadline. An informational brochure for candidates clinical teaching Fall 2020, and for those effected prior completers can be found by clicking here. The last possible date to be awarded a standard certificate using the #291 exam in conjunction with the #293 STR exam is 12/30/22.
Preparation Manuals & Study Guides
- Preparation manuals & study guides for the TExES exams are available online at the Pearson website.
- A list of links to online videos related to the TExES exams
- Read about test preparation reminders including test taking tips.
Practice Questions and Exams
- Practice questions for each of the TExES exams can be found at www.texestestquestions.com or at the Pearson TExES website.
- Practice Exams and Study Guides are available at a discounted rate through 240 Tutoring. Contact the Coordinator of Certification Testing at 254-968-1908 to receive registration instructions.
- CertifyTeacher.com also provides realistic exam questions, answers, and explanations, and will give you a report showing your scores and breakdown of scores by competency. View instructions on how to use your student promo code at checkout to get discounted access to these materials until you receive a passing grade from the state on your exams.
Interactive Practice Exams
Pearson Testing offers full-length practice exams that include correct answers, explanations for correct answers, and an automatic score summary report for a nominal fee of $10.00. There are only nine practice exams available at this time which can be found at this location on their site. More will be coming at a later date and will be posted as they become available.
- Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities EC-12 (#160)
- Mathematics 7-12 (#235)
- Science 7-12 (#236)
- Language Other Than English (LOTE) – Spanish (#613)
- Bilingual Target Language Proficiency Test (BTLPT) (#190)
- Principal as Instructional Leader (#268)
- Early Childhood: PK-3 (#292)
- Science of Teaching Reading )#293)
- Educational Diagnostician (#253)
TExES Study Materials
The following items are available in university bookstores, as well as commercial bookstores. Most are also available online through vendors like Amazon.
- Pearson Preparation Manuals (Study Guides)— Study guides for each exam can be found on the Pearson TExES website. Go to Prepare on the home page and then scroll down until you find the test you are taking. The study guides give the test framework as well as a set of practice questions.
- TExES English as a Second Language (ESL) 154 by XAMonline – Reviews the key competencies and skill sets found on the TExES ESL exam. It also includes 125 practice questions and full answer explanations.
- Becoming an EC-6 Teacher in Texas — A Course of Study for the Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR) TExES. (2003) edited by Janice L. Nath and Myrna D. Cohen. Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, 10 Davis Drive, Belmont, CA 94002-3098.
- Becoming a Middle School or High School Teacher in Texas – A Course of Study for the Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities (PPR) TExES.(2005) edited by Janice L. Nath and Myrna D. Cohen. Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, 10 Davis Drive, Belmont, CA 94002-3098.
- How to Prepare for the TExES – Texas Examinations of Educator Standards.(2004) Barron’s Educational Service Inc., 250 Wireless Boulevard, Hauppauge, NY 11788. www.barronseduc.com. Full length exams and detailed explanations for answers.
- Cracking the TExES. (2005) Princeton Review Publishing, LLC, 2315 Broadway, New York, NY 10024. www.PrincetonReview.com. Includes full-length practice tests and detailed explanations for answers.
- Pass the TExES — For Texas Teachers. Ed Publishing & Consulting, Shipping from Dallas, TX. Call 888-978-1922 or visit their website atwww.passthetexes.com Preparation manuals with PowerPoint module on CD and downloadable ebooks for PPR and many content area tests. Tutoring in person, by Skype, and by phone available. email:[email protected].
- Study Manuals and Practice Question Manuals for Educators. By TExES Study Sessions, LLC, P.O. Box 10962, Midland, TX 79702. www.texesstudy.com.
- “The TExES Master” by Art Williams. P.O. Box 930, Groves, TX 77619, (409) 962-3100, or visit their web site at www.texes.net. Includes video study cards, booklet.
- TExES – Texas Examination of Educator Standards. (2004) Kaplan Publishing, 1230 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020. www.kaptest.com. Includes full-length practice tests, personalized diagnostic test, and detailed explanations for answers.
Review Sessions and Seminars
- Pass the TExES — A company providing seminars on Pedagogy and Professional Responsibilities; Special Education; Human Development and Family Studies: Hospitality, Nutrition and Food Science; and School Counselor. Call (972) 429-1922 or (817) 996-0167, or visit their website at www.passthetexes.com for information on session dates and locations.
- 240Tutoring – Offers online, comprehensive study guides that are guaranteed to prepare a student for their certification exam. Every 240Tutoring study guide comes with the 240Tutoring Guarantee, benchmark assessments, and the most comprehensive resources available.
- T-CERT – This resource is free for A&M System schools (Includes Tarleton) and provides several review modules for many of the TExES exams. The components of each module are designed to enhance the preparation you have received from your teacher preparation program. Contact the testing coordinator for access to this resource.
Listing of these materials does not imply any endorsement by the Tarleton State University College of Education and Human Development. Tarleton makes no guarantees, stated or implied, about the quality of the help you get nor the effects on your scores. Tarleton students are free to use any of these materials or programs at their own discretion. The list is provide as a service to students who might want additional help.