Welcome to Community Living!

The Application Policies is an important document with which to be familiar.

The Tarleton State University housing policy is based on the knowledge that living on-campus can provide both educational and social opportunities important to the success of college students. Research shows that compared to those living elsewhere, students living in residence halls are more involved in academic and extracurricular activities. Residents also tend to earn a higher grade point average, exceed predicted levels of learning and personal development, and more frequently complete their college education within a four to five year period.

ApP1: Application Fee

Application Fee – To live in campus housing, students must complete the housing contract as well as pay a nonrefundable $100 Application Fee. An Application Fee of $100 is required of all students applying to live in campus housing. This fee is non-refundable unless the student is denied admission to the university If a student is denied admission, the student must notify Residence Life, in writing, to request a Housing Application Fee refund.

  • Contract Termination by the University – The University reserves the right to terminate the Housing Contract at any time for violation of the terms and conditions stated therein or for any other reason that the University, in its sole discretion, deems to be good cause

ApP2: Contract Period

Contract Period – The Contract Period is for the entire academic year (Fall and Spring Semesters). If entered into after the academic year starts, the contract applies to the remaining balance of the academic year through May (August to May). The summer contract period is for either or both summer terms. Contracts are enforced for the duration of a student’s college career at Tarleton unless one has fulfilled all contractual obligations or notifies Residence Life, in writing that they will not be returning to campus housing for the following year.

ApP3: Rental Period

Rental Period – The Rental Period begins when campus housing officially opens and ends 24 hours after the student’s last final examination. However, campus housing is officially closed during breaks throughout the year: Winter Break, before Summer Session I, and after Summer Session II.

ApP4: Eligibility

Eligibility – Priority for living in campus housing is given to new, incoming first-year students. Due to demand, students in the second year of their contract and continuing students who wish to remain on campus should apply and complete their self-assignment early in the reapplication process held during the spring of their first year on campus

ApP5: Transferability

Transferability – The housing contract is with the individual and may not be transferred or assigned by any party other than by Residence Life. Cancellation/Refund Policy – as stated in the Period of Contract, the student contract term is for the entire academic year. A student who desires to cancel his/her contract must submit an Off Campus Request Process, by the
deadline, for review or choose to buy out the contract. If an individual is permitted to cancel his/her contract, any refund of housing fees will be made on a prorated basis. If a student is graduating or prematurely leaving the university before the end of the contract period, the student should reach out and notify Residence Life that they are not returning. A student who wishes to withdraw should submit notification, using the withdrawal form, to Enrollment Management.

Residing on-campus creates an environment where students are more successful; therefore, Tarleton supports a live-on requirement of:

Residency Requirements:

Tarleton supports a live-on campus requirement of one year for new incoming students (first time in college and freshmen). Students about to graduate or have already graduated from high school or have earned GED and have not yet attended a post-secondary institution for one long semester (i.e., Fall or Spring), are considered first-time in college (FTIC) students.

Students who have earned college credits before graduating from high school (AP or Dual Credits) or took classes immediately after graduating from high school (during the summer), are also considered FTIC students regardless of earned credit hours. FTIC students are required to reside on-campus their first academic year unless requesting and receiving approval for an Off-Campus Exemption

Exemptions to Campus Residency Requirement

Exemptions to the Campus Housing Residency Requirement – A student may request an exemption to the campus residency requirement for one of the following reasons:

  1. The student graduated from high school at least one year prior to the start of the semester – this only applies to students who are incoming new students beginning Fall 2023-Spring 2024 academic year.
  2. The student will be 21 years of age prior to the start of the semester.
  3. The student is a married student or a single parent with at least one dependent child.
  4. The student currently resides, and will continue to reside, in the established primary residence of a family member (parent, legal guardian, sibling, aunt/uncle, grandparents) within 60 miles of Tarleton State University’s Stephenville Campus.
  5. The student will reside with a sibling who is a registered student at Tarleton State University and will reside at the address that is located within 60 miles of Tarleton State University’s Stephenville Campus.
  6. A transfer student who has completed college credits in a long semester (Fall – Spring) after graduation from high school.
  7. The student is taking 8 credit hours or fewer as a part-time student.
  8. The student has a financial hardship.
  9. Acceptance to Texas A&M College Station, after enrollment in Tarleton State University’s PSA/Program for System Admission or the Ranger to Tarleton Pathway program.

A student may request an exemption to the campus residence requirement for one of the above reasons by submitting the Off Campus Request Form. To access the Off Campus Request Form, log in to the housing link through Duck Trax on My Gateway. Each Off Campus Request should be carefully reviewed for required documentation as a part of the submission process.