Navigating the Unknown: A First-Gen College Graduate’s Journey in Civil Engineering

Diana Zendejas, a distinguished alumna of Tarleton Honors College and the Mayfield College of Engineering, achieved her Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering in 2020. Following her graduation, she pursued her academic endeavors further, obtaining a Master of Engineering in Structural Engineering from the prestigious Texas A&M College of Engineering in 2022. She now serves as a dedicated project engineer at IMEG (formerly JQ) Engineering Firm in Dallas, TX, contributing her expertise to significant projects in the field (even some Tarleton projects!).

Introduction

Embarking on the challenging path of higher education as a first-generation college student can be a journey filled with uncertainties, challenges, and unexpected turns. In this interview, we dive into the inspiring story of a first-gen Honors College graduate who successfully earned a degree in Civil Engineering from Tarleton State University and a graduate degree in structural engineering from the Texas A&M University, sharing the obstacles faced, the unexpected twists, and the triumphs that shaped her educational and professional journey.

The Challenging, Unclear, and Fun Journey

T 4

In a request to share her story Diana describes her journey in three words: “challenging, unclear, and fun.” From the importance of education instilled by her parents to the struggle with FAFSA applications, she shares a glimpse into the hurdles faced by a first-gen student. The pressure to excel for scholarship opportunities and the need to balance work and studies highlight the determination and maturity developed early in her college years. Reflecting Diana states

“I started working when I was 15 as a school janitor. Then I was a Sonic carhop, SI, and private tutor. I needed the money to pay for gas, books, and food so every moment was crucial to me. There were many nights when I had to stay up all night to finish my assignments as I usually worked day shifts. The way I see it, most of these “obstacles” were just hard because it was my first time going through this process. It was my family, the Hico community, and other great people who have supported, guided, and motivated me to be the person that I am today.”

From Hico to Civil Engineering

T 3

Coming from a small town like Hico, Texas, the Diana’s initial plan to pursue architecture took an unexpected turn during orientation at Tarleton. The lack of an architecture major at the university led her to civil engineering, a decision that would eventually shape her future. The exploration of subfields within civil engineering, particularly structural engineering, unveils a passion that becomes the driving force behind her career choice.

“Out of all those classes, the structures courses were my favorite and that is when I knew that I wanted to work with buildings/bridges. It amazed me to think that people can design and construct breathtaking structures. At the end of the day, my career found me.”

Honors College Experience

Graduating from Tarleton State University’s Honors College in 2020 is a significant achievement for Diana. She reflects on the impact of being part of the Honors College, sharing how it challenged her academically, introduced her to different perspectives, and provided unique opportunities for research. The experience broadened her horizons and contributed to her personal and academic growth.

“Being part of the Honors College challenged me to become a better student, and be efficient, and introduced me to a new group of students who were not engineers. I was able to be part of the honors psychology class which was so interesting to me because it was the opposite of what I was doing in my major. I was used to having concrete answers while in this class it was up to everyone to interpret the situation/passage and give their opinion. It made my brain work in distinct ways which I thought was cool.”

Mastering Structural Engineering at Texas A&M

T 1

The decision to pursue further education at Texas A&M for a Master of Engineering in Structural Engineering was motivated by the advice of undergraduate professors and the desire to work on bridges. Diana discussed her experiences at Texas A&M, she emphasized the importance of networking and collaboration in both academic and professional spheres.

“I made friends from all over the world: Costa Rica, Argentina, Romania, Ecuador, Peru, and India. I got to learn so much about their culture and their experiences in the working field. I learned so much more besides engineering: life lessons, world problems, and the importance of collaboration.”

Project Engineer Role at IMEG

Transitioning to the professional realm, Diana shares her experiences as a project engineer for IMEG, previously JQ. Involvement in construction projects on Tarleton campuses showcases her role in checking submittals, observing construction processes, and contributing to the success of projects like the highly anticipated Tarleton State Health Professionals Building.

“I joined JQ Now IMEG in January of 2023. At the time, they were working at the Fort Worth campus. I was able to go visit the site during construction and observe the rebar placement within columns and humongous beams. I was able to assist in minor tasks for the upcoming Tarleton State Health Professionals Building which will be in Stephenville, TX. I also get to check submittals from the contractor (I verify that their drawings match our designs) that will be used during construction. Eventually, I will get the opportunity to come on site and see the construction process to verify that rebar is placed correctly, observe concrete pours, and assist wherever I’m needed. However, JQ has been involved in multiple Tarleton projects such as: Memorial Stadium renovations/expansions, Applied Sciences Building, OA Grant Humanities Building renovations/expansion, New Traditions Hall, Honors Hall, and the Nursing Building.”

Shaping Perspectives in Civil Engineering

Education and professional experiences have broadened the Diana’s perspective on civil engineering, highlighting the importance of communication, management, and problem-solving skills. Senior-level positions involve more communication and management, shedding light on the multifaceted nature of the engineering field.

“It was shocking to me that the higher roles in the engineering field deal less with actual design work and are more involved with communicating with clients, contractors, and architects. …Many factors that impact our projects consist of the timeline, quality, and most importantly cost. You must be very open-minded and listen effectively to all the parties involved in the project.”

Advice to First-Gen Students

T 6

As a first-gen college graduate, Diana offers advice to current and prospective students from similar backgrounds, encouraging them to dream big and pursue her goals relentlessly. She emphasizes the abundance of opportunities in the United States, regardless of one’s background, and the importance of determination, passion, and a strong work ethic in achieving success.

“I would tell them to Dream BIG! People who know me know that I have tons of ideas and goals that I want to accomplish in my lifetime. I remember working at Sonic telling people that I was going to apply to Texas A&M for structural engineering and some would give me this crazy look. I had people tell me that everything that I said sounded very nice, but that most Hispanic girls tended to end up married and pregnant. Someone even told me, “Honey, you don’t get scholarships in grad school.” I’m not the type of person that likes to take no for an answer and I also like to prove people wrong. I tell people my parents gave me the biggest opportunity that I could ever get and that was being born in the United States of America. This allowed me to know two different cultures. For example, in Mexico, it is extremely difficult for students to get a career who come from a low-income family. However, in the United States, you can work and attend college at the same time. If you are determined, passionate, and have a strong work ethic you can do whatever you set your mind to. It doesn’t matter where you come from as long as you know what you want to achieve in this world. This country is full of opportunities, and the path will be complicated, but succeeding in your goals gives you an indescribable feeling.”

Advise for Aspiring Engineers

“As an engineer, I believe that having communication, project management, and problem-solving skills are the most valuable. An engineer is always interacting with other people, whether it be someone from their team, a contractor, or architect, etc. It is important to know how to effectively communicate and delegate to others. At the end of the day, everyone has the same goal of finishing the project at the lowest cost. From personal experience, your work ethic, willingness to learn, and positive attitude will take you far in this field.”

Future Goals in Civil Engineering

T 2

Looking ahead, Diana outlines her career goals, including obtaining a professional engineer license, becoming a project manager, and giving back to the community. The aspiration to mentor future engineers and contribute to the field showcases a commitment to continuous learning and personal growth.

“I’m the type of person who likes to set goals. First, I want to take a couple of years to learn as much as I can from all the great mentors that I work with. To become a professional engineer (PE) in the state of Texas you must pass the PE exam. This consists of an 8-hour exam plus four years of experience. After meeting all these criteria, you get your seal and license. I plan on taking this within a year or two. Hopefully, I will become a project manager in the next 5-10 years. Most importantly I want to give back to my community. I am getting the opportunity to work on projects for both Tarleton and Texas A&M. It feels amazing to see buildings being constructed and knowing that I was part of that in a way. Every day I try to learn from my mistakes to become a better engineer as lives depend on us. Eventually, I want to be able to pass down my knowledge, advise, and be a mentor to future engineers. I want to gain confidence in my work and enjoy the journey.”

Conclusion

Diana expressed gratitude to her family, professors, and friends who supported her throughout her journey. Diana’s story is inspiring and provides insights into the challenges, triumphs, and continuous growth experienced by a first-gen college graduate in the field of civil engineering.