With its main campus in Stephenville, an hour southwest of Fort Worth, Tarleton State University offers the value of a Texas A&M University System degree with its own brand of personal attention, individual opportunities, history, tradition and community.
Tarleton is a vibrant learning community with nearly 100 undergraduate and graduate degrees, as well as a doctorate in education, within eight academic colleges:
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Education and Human Development
- Graduate Studies
- Health Sciences
- Liberal and Fine Arts
- Science and Mathematics
- Mayfield College of Engineering
Tarleton has extended the reach of state-supported, affordable education by expanding online undergraduate and graduate programs and classes in Waco and Fort Worth.
Recent additions to the main Stephenville campus include a state-of-the-art Nursing Building, and a new $25 million living and learning residence hall for 500 students. Tarleton’s research centers include the renowned Texas Institute for Applied Environmental Research and the Southwest Regional Dairy Center.
To see how Tarleton State University is working to become the premier student-focused and value-driven institution, view our mission statement and goals.
- Established: September 4, 1899
- Joined A&M System: 1917
- Colors: Purple and White
- Mascot: Texan Rider
- Nickname: Texans
- Athletic Affiliation: Western Athletic Conference (WAC)
- Fall 2022 Academic Enrollment: 15,000+
- Number of Staff: 646
- Number of Faculty: 774
- Estimated Cost Per Academic Year: $26,516 (Calculate Your Cost Estimate)
23 to 1
Student to Faculty Ratio
Recreational Sports Teams
Locations and Centers
Centers & Institutes
“I graduated from Tarleton in December of 2020 with a Bachelor of Science in Communication Studies with a concentration in Public Relations and Event Management. Since my time at TSU, I have opened my own event planning business, Shirley Eventful. We specialize in full event planning and day of coordination. From weddings to business banquets, we do it all! My favorite part of the job is seeing the faces of my clients at the end of their event. Looking back, I will always cherish the memories made and the lessons learned that helped set me up for success.”
-Travon Jackson, Class of 2017
- Associate: 2
- Bachelors: 85
- Masters: 38
- Doctorate: 2
Learn more about the academic life at Tarleton State University.
Tarleton State University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate, baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. Questions about the accreditation of Tarleton may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org). View the full listing of Tarleton’s accreditations.
More About Us
- Tarleton ranks in the top 25% for 6-year graduation rate and in the bottom 25% for tuition and related costs
- Number of NCAA Athletic Teams: 16
- Number of Recreational Sports Teams: 14
- Number of Club Sport Teams: 21
- Students come from 244 Texas counties, 49 states, and 41 foreign countries
- 2022-2023 Operating Budget: $208 million
- Faculty Information
- Our Administration
- Office of the President
- University Organizational Chart
- Texan Facts (Reports)
- Third largest agricultural program among non-land grant universities in the nation.
- The Department of Animal Science oversees the Tarleton Equine-Assisted Therapy (TREAT) program that is designed to utilize horseback riding as a form of physical, emotional and recreational therapy.
- Job placement rate near 100% for Computer Information Systems graduates.
- The Marketing and Computer Information Systems Department was selected by the Association of Information Technology Professionals as the outstanding four-year program in North America in 1989, 1996 and 2003 making Tarleton the first university to be a three-time award recipient.
- 98% teacher certification pass rate.
- Tarleton's Laboratory for Wellness and Motor Behaviorhouses a unique training machine called "The Psycle™" for individuals with mobility impairments that require special training.
and Fine Arts