By: Valeria Munoz
Financial Aid Outreach Coordinator
Students who are attending higher education institutions in Texas can apply for FAFSA or TASFA. Students can only fill out one application and the deadline for both of them is January 15th, 2022. Read below to determine which application students need to fill out!
What is FAFSA?
FAFSA stands for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and it is a free form that students can complete each academic year to determine if they qualify for grants, loans, or work-study.
Who should submit a FAFSA?
- U.S. Citizen, Eligible Noncitizen*, or live in U.S. territories*
- Have a valid social security number*
*For those who are not U.S. citizens but are considered U.S. national and U.S. permanent residents these students can still complete the FAFSA application.
*Students who live in U.S. territories such as Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, or Palau can complete the FAFSA application.
*If you live in the Marshall Islands, Federal States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau you are exempt from having a social security number and can apply for FAFSA.
The application opens on October 1st, 2021! Texas and Tarleton State University priority deadline is January 15th, 2022. Fill out the FAFSA application as early as you can, so you can improve your opportunities in receiving aid. If you are a newly admitted first year freshman or newly admitted first year transfer student and we receive your FAFSA application by December 1st, you can expect to have an award letter by winter break! Remember filling out the FAFSA application is free!
- To create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID, follow this link https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch
- Students and parents will use their 2020 tax information forms for the FAFSA 2022-2023 application.
- FAFSA needs to be completed every year on October 1st.
What is TASFA?
The Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA) is a free application that students can fill out to determine if they qualify for state aid. Students under DACA or are classified as undocumented are encourage to fill out this form.
Who should submit a TASFA?
- Non U.S Citizens
- Lived in Texas for 3 years or more (prior to enrolling in college)
- Graduating high school in Texas (or receiving a certificate of high school equivalency)
- Male students who are registered or will register for Selective Service
The application opens on October 1st, 2021 for the 2022-2023 school year. Students can download the paper form through tarleton.edu/finaid/apply/tasfa.html or through College For All Texans. Texas and Tarleton State University priority deadline is January 15th, 2022. If you are a newly admitted first year freshman or newly admitted first year transfer student and we receive your TASFA application by December 1st, you can expect to have an award letter by winter break!
- Students and parents will use their 2020 tax information forms for the TASFA 2022-2023 application.
If you need help filling out the FAFSA or TASFA application, the Financial Aid Outreach Coordinator will be traveling to various high schools from October to December. The Office of Financial Aid also offers opportunities for prospective and current students to schedule appointments.
To schedule an appointment with our team please visit here:
Read more on Financial Aid Topics below!