Steps for Applying for Tuition Assistance
- All prospective TA students must first speak with their unit Education Service Officer (ESO), a military counselor, or visit their local installation Education Center regarding your desire to use Federal Tuition Assistance. Service members must coordinate with ESO’s and receive approval from commanders before they begin using Federal Tuition Assistance.
- After obtaining the proper approval, visit the TA portal for your respective branch and create an account.
- Register for your classes through the university registration portal.
- Log into your branch portal account and request tuition assistance for each of your classes. You’ll need to have your Tarleton billing statement and your class schedule in digital form to upload onto the portal if/when prompted.
- Revisit the portal routinely in the days and weeks following your request. Once your request is approved, you will receive a TA authorization statement.
- Email your TA authorization statement to Office of Veteran Services. Our staff will deliver your statement to the Business Services Office. The Business Services Office will apply your TA to your Tarleton billing account.
Unearned TA Policy
Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with Department of Defense policy, Tarleton State University will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.
Return of unearned TA funds may result in students owing a debt to Tarleton. All students are advised to consult with our office before dropping any class that is supported by federal Tuition Assistance.
Unearned TA Return Schedules
Tarleton State University does not fraudulently or aggressively recruit military students. Tarleton State University does not provide compensation to individuals for securing military enrollments or engage in high-pressure recruitment tactics.