Student Grievance and Appeals Procedures

Tarleton State University is committed to providing an educational environment that is conducive to the personal and professional development of each individual. To further that commitment, the university has developed procedures for students to pursue grievances and appeals within the university community. This section describes various grievance and appeals procedures.

Academic Appeals

Student academic appeals are handled according to the following guidelines:

  • Each academic department shall develop its own formula for dealing with student grievances of an academic nature. Such a policy should be in writing in the departmental office and available to students.
  • A student who wishes to appeal a decision of a faculty member or staff member of an academic department should ask for a review by that person within 60 days of the originating event unless the departmental procedures specifically give more time than this. The person is expected to give the student a response within 30 days. If the person is unavailable, if a response is not made within 30 days or if the student is unsatisfied with the response then the student should inform the department head of the appeal. For an appeal of a course grade the originating event shall be considered to be the posting of the grade to the university record.
  • A student wishing to appeal a decision to the department head must do so within 120 days of the originating event unless the departmental procedures specifically give more time. The department head will review as specified by the departmental grievance procedures.
  • A student who is unsatisfied with the outcome of the departmental grievance process may appeal to the dean of the academic college. This must be within 30 days of the notification of the departmental decision. The dean will review the appeal and render a decision. The dean may require that the appeal be in writing.
  • A student unsatisfied with the decision of the dean, may appeal in writing to the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs within 30 days of notification of the decision of the college. The Vice President for Academic Affairs may decide that no further review is justified, may render a decision upon review or may appoint a five-member committee to consider the appeal. The committee will consist of a faculty member from outside the involved department as chair, two other faculty members and two student members. After hearing both sides of the grievance, the committee shall render an opinion to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, who shall render the final judgment.

Academic Honesty Sanction Appeal

A student appealing an academic sanction imposed upon them by a faculty member, must follow the Academic Appeal procedure as described above. This appeal process is also described in the Faculty Handbook.

A student appealing an academic sanction imposed upon them by a Student Engagement & Success Officer, must follow the procedure for Disciplinary Appeals as described below and in the Code of Student Conduct, section 7.1.

Disciplinary Appeals

This procedure for Disciplinary Appeals is as described in the Code of Student Conduct, sections 10.2 through 10.8.

Additional information about the University Discipline Appeals Committee can be found in the Code of Student Conduct, section 10.7.

Title IX Reporting

If you believe you or someone has been subjected to any other form of sex-based discrimination under Title IX, you may report such misconduct or file a formal complaint. This may include sexual harassment, sexual assault, or sexual violence. View the Title IX website for additional information on how to file a report.


Known incidents of hazing by an individual or organization should be reported through the online hazing incident form. If you have been a victim of hazing or witnessed a hazing incident, by law you have a responsibility to report it.

Parking Citations

Appeals for parking citations should be made through the university’s online parking portal.

General Grievances

Issues and complaints that cannot be addressed through the above procedures, or between the involved parties, should be addressed to the Dean of Students through the online Student Complaint Form. Students may file a formal complaint describing the treatment, action or decision at issue and the remedy sought. Complaints received through this form may be referred to the appropriate department if a procedure exists for complaints or appeals within that particular area.