Kinesiology (phonetic spelling) – n. the study of human movement.
Kinesiology is also an “umbrella term” used to describe a diverse group of academic sub-disciplines including Exercise Science, Sport Management, Human Performance, Physical Education, Biomechanics, Human Ergonomics, Recreation, Sport Performance, Wellness, and more.
The Department of HHP houses three academic concentrations within the Kinesiology major. These concentrations serve students who aspire to a wide variety of different careers. Examples include:
- Preparation for professional schools
- Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Chiropractic, Physician Assistant, Exercise Science
- Preparation for graduate study in Athletic Training (MSAT)
- Strength and Conditioning Coach and sport performance
- Personal Training and other direct client service
The Department of Sports Science houses three academic concentrations within the Kinesiology major. These concentrations serve students who aspire to a wide variety of different careers. Examples include:
- Physical Education Teacher Education
- Coaching Sports (K-12 environment with teacher certification)
- Coaching and sports administration (club/select, college, professional)
- Administration of recreation/fitness programs (public, private, college campus)
These are the certifications offered at Tarleton State University. Becoming a teacher, a coach, or a fitness professional is within your reach.