Welcome to The Planet!
The Planet is the student-run radio station at Tarleton State. We play a wide variety of tunes from Indie to Hip Hop to accommodate many student’s musical taste. We share our station with 90.5 KTRL, our local NPR news station.
The Planet welcomes any Tarleton student wanting to be a DJ and have their own live 2 hour radio show during the week. Just contact our student manager to see when our next orientation is. You can reach him at 254.968.9586 or by dropping by the radio station in room 138 of the Math building.
Call our request line at 254.968.9589 anytime to make a request!
Also, be sure to check our event page regularly to see where we are going to be. We do many live events and concerts throughout each semester and we would love to see you there!
WE ARE HIRING!
We have two positions available for hire:
All positions at Tarleton Radio are required to perform duties beyond their job description such as review music, work with other departments, attend and work events held by Tarleton Radio, attend staff meetings, and any other duties as delegated by the Student Manager, Station Manager or General Manager. Extra responsibilities outside of your work schedule will not interfere with you class schedule. All duties related to the radio station take precedence over organizational activities and other personal obligations.
- Should be familiar with audio editing software (Audacity, Audition, Reaper, etc…)
- Produces all public service announcements, underwriting announcements, interviews, music recordings, specialty programming, DJ’s recorded shows and any other production needs throughout the year
- Responsible for upkeep of the station’s Soundcloud pages
- This includes uploading interviews, JTAC News, Texan News and any other audio that needs to go on Soundcloud
- Will be responsible for continually keeping up with all event calendars in the Cross Timbers area and Tarleton to produce PSA’s
- Responsible for finding enough voices for to cover all production needs
- Responsible for working with Granbury Sports and Tarleton Athletics for their production needs
- Responsible for creating new liners for programming on both stations
- Responsible for keeping track of the age of promos and recording new promos when necessary
- Will be responsible for working with volunteers interested in working in your department
- Will work with Music Director to process new music submissions from record labels weekly
- Will work with Music Director to take our music when needed
- In charge of maintaining both the KXTR and KTRL websites
- Will need to go through training with Web Services to learn how to do this
- Responsible for taking readings of both the KTRL and KXTR Transmitters
- You will always be with someone going to the KTRL Transmitter site in Bluff Dale
- Responsible for finding, scheduling and planning weekly remote broadcasts
- Will need to be on site to hook up remote broadcasting equipment or train another employee or volunteer to do it if unable to attend
- Responsible for maintaining the KXTR Transmitter site on campus
- Responsible for maintaining all equipment at the radio station
- Responsible for all computers at the radio station or working with IT to solve those problems
- Works with the Contract Engineer during their visits
- Will be responsible for all other technical aspects of the station not listed
Come by our office and grab an application or print the employee application out. Once filled out, please bring it to Lance McFarlin in Math 138.