Skip to page content
Return to Top

Take the steps to begin your journey:

Step 1: VisitStep 2: AdmissionsStep 3: ScholarshipsStep 4: HousingStep 5: Financial AidStep 6: First Year

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand AllContract All

Is the admissions process the same as it is for non-military/veterans?

The admissions process is generally the same for veterans/military and civilian students. There are two exceptions to this.

  • Military/Veteran students are encouraged to provide military transcripts to Tarleton for evaluation of potentially useful credit.
  • Military/Veteran students may be exempt from TSI testing as stated below.
Will Tarleton State University accept my military transcript/credits?

Tarleton awards four Kinesiology credits to veterans providing a DD- 214 with an honorable discharge. Other credits may apply depending on your degree plan. Academic advisors at Tarleton will determine usable credits. Credits from Joint Service Transcripts (Army, Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard) are evaluated based on ACE recommendations. Credits from The Community College of the Air Force are evaluated based on the technical or academic nature of the course.

Do I have to take an SAT or ACT since I am/was in the military?

Maybe. The need for this requirement will be determined by Undergraduate Admissions.

Do I have to take the TSI since I am/was in the military?

TSI exemptions for military and veteran students are as follows:

  • A student who is serving on active duty as a member of:
    • The armed forces of the United States; or
    • The Texas National Guard
  • A student who is currently serving as and, for at least the three-year period preceding enrollment, has served as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States; or
  • A student who on or after August 1, 1990, was honorably discharged, retired, or released from: 
    • Active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard; or 
    • Service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
Does Tarleton State University waive the application fee for veterans?

There is not a specific fee waiver for veterans. All fee waivers are “needs based”. For more information about possible application fee waivers, see Undergraduate Admissions.

Am I required to get the bacterial meningitis shot?

Maybe. All resident students that are under the age of 22 are required to have the bacterial meningitis shot. Read more about the bacterial meningitis vaccination requirement. 

Can I use VA benefits in conjunction with scholarships and grants?

Yes. We encourage all students to complete the FAFSA and Scholarship application every year, regardless of their federal benefit eligibility.

Do I need to wait for acceptance before I apply for VA benefits?

No. You can apply for your benefits with the VA while you are waiting to be notified of your acceptance.

How do I determine whether I’m considered a freshman or transfer student?

Undergraduate Admissions will determine your status as a transfer student or first-time freshman.

Do I have to meet the application deadlines?

Yes. Be sure to check the Admissions Deadlines page before you complete your application.

Who do I contact if I have questions or issues with the application process?