Skip to page content

How to Report Title IX Issues

Darren F. Keith is designated as Tarleton State University’s Title IX Coordinator. He is responsible for ensuring Tarleton State University complies with Title IX, including responding to and investigating all complaints of sex discrimination (including sexual harassment and sexual violence).

If you believe that you or someone else has been subjected to sexual harassment by a university faculty or staff member, student, or Tarleton State University visitor or any other form of sex-based discrimination under Title IX, you may report such misconduct or file a formal complaint with the Title IX Coordinator or the official contact for each situation.

Title IX Contacts

To file complaints against faculty/staff members, please contact the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Employees
To file complaints against students, please contact the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Students
To file complaints regarding athletics, please contact the Deputy Title IX Coordinator for Student Athletes
All complaints can be reported to the Title IX Coordinator
For those who would like to report confidentially

Reporting Criminal Incidents

If you are a victim of sexual assault or sexual violence, or know someone who has been a victim of a sexual assault or sexual violence, you should contact one of the offices above, depending on who the complaint is against (faculty/staff, visitor or student).

When a crime is reported, both a Title IX investigation and criminal investigation may occur.

Confidential Campus Survivor Advocates

An important resource for you is the Campus Survivor Advocate. The availability of an advocate allows survivors to seek confidential support if they have been harmed. The advocate can make changes in housing or classes, assist students with seeking accommodations including academic extensions or grades of incomplete if necessary, help students understand formal reporting options (Title IX and law enforcement) and support students through those processes if a student chooses to engage in them. 

A student has the right to file a criminal complaint and a Title IX complaint simultaneously. Tarleton's Title IX Coordinator will assist any victim with notifying local police if they so desire. The contacting of the police is not however require unless the victim is considered a minor in the State of Texas.

Inquiries or complaints about discrimination may also be directed to the United States Equal Opportunity Commission at 800-669-4000 or the United States Department of Education Office of Civil Rights at 214-661-9600.

What Happens When I file a Title IX Complaint?

There is an administrative process to address complaints of discrimination based on sex, to protect victims, and to prevent reoccurrence. The details of the complaint are discussed between the victim or the reporting party and an initial interviewer. A course of action will ensue based on the information gathered during the interview.

Every victim, witness, or third party has the right to present his or her complaint and the right to an impartial investigation of that complaint. Furthermore, individuals have the right to present witnesses and other evidence. The alleged victim and the alleged perpetrator, as well as any witnesses identified will be interviewed.

Following the investigation, a final decision is made by a designated university administrator. This decision is based on the federally require preponderance of evidence standard. In other words, the conduct process asks: "is it more likely than not that the respondent violated the University Rules or Student Code of Conduct?"

A decision will be rendered on whether the complaint is or is not substantiated and what disciplinary action will be taken, if any. Both parties will be notified of action taken which affects the victim. While the finding cannot be appealed, any resulting disciplinary action can be appealed.

Counseling and other resources are available and will be offered to both the alleged victim and alleged perpetrator. In addition to your right to file a Title IX complaint, you have the right to file a complaint with local law enforcement if you believe a crime has occurred.

Related Laws and Guidance