Skip to page content

Student Travel

Students participating in an activity or event that is located more than 25 miles from the University are require to follow travel safety guidelines and register their travel with the University when the trip is:

  • funded by the University and students use a vehicle owned or leased by the University; or
  • require by a student organization recognized at the University; or
  • undertaken under the scope, direction, or election of a college, department, class, university office, learning community, study abroad program, recognized student organization, or their representatives.

Travel Registration

Before You Begin

  1. Have your trip itinerary ready. Information needed:
    • Purpose and destination
    • Date and time for departure and arrival
    • Route
    • Planned stops (if any)
    • Designated driver(s) - verify drivers have current license, car tag and insurance
    • Establish who is riding with who
    • If traveling by means other than vehicle, have flight number or other identification number
  2. Hotel contact information and address
  3. Trip coordinator name, email, work and cell phone numbers
  4. Traveler's name(s), UIN, emergency contact information
  5. Tarleton release form (waiver, identification, and medical treatment authorization form) for each participant. Take a copy on trip and leave a copy in the sponsoring department with organization advisor.

Examples of Trips to Register

Please note that this is not an exhaustive list.

Class field trip or service learning project

Trip associated with an academic course.

Recognized student organization activities such as socials, service, and conferences

Trip associated with your membership in a student organization.

Individual Student Travel

Trip associated with an internship, student teaching, research and conferences beyond academic course requirements.

Other university-affiliated group

University travel that falls outside the above categories.

Not sure if your trip needs to be registered?

If the answer is "yes" to one or more of the following questions, then you should register your trip:

  • Is the trip associated with a class, university function, department or organization activity?
  • Does a university employee (faculty, staff or student) or student organization coordinate the trip?
  • Is the trip communicated through a university source (written in a document, printed publication, advertised through a website and/or social media)?
  • Has the trip been discussed or communicated in a meeting or through organization communication means?
  • Are the student(s) representing the university?

Register Your Trip

Register your trip by filling out the two forms below and email them to Email subject line should state group name, trip dates and location. 

Example: Subject: Duck Camp June 10-12 Bruceville, TX

Travel Safety

Safety Requirements

Drivers and passengers must act responsibly and use sound judgment when traveling. Further, drivers must:

  • Obey all traffic laws and regulations, including posted speed limits.
  • Not drive under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs or transport or possess alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, unauthorized firearms or other types of weapons.
  • Wear seat belts at all times. The number of occupants in the vehicle must not exceed the number of seat belts (may not be applicable in some foreign destinations).
  • Not exceed the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended load capacity (see owner operating manual for specific instructions).
  • Avoid horseplay, racing or other distracting or aggressive behavior.

Safety Recommendations

Drivers are encouraged to follow the safe driving practices provide below:

  • Begin the trip well rested.
  • Notify a designated contact person upon departure and arrival.
  • Avoid driving when conditions are hazardous (this includes but is not limited to fog, heavy rain, snow or ice conditions). Be prepared to stop the trip and check into a motel when fatigue or travel conditions warrant.
  • Plan routes in advance, and carpool and caravan when possible.
  • Divided the trip into segments, stopping for rest as necessary.
  • Carry at least one cellular telephone or other two-way communication devices in each vehicle for emergency purposes. Driver should not use a cell phone while driving.
  • Establish a reasonable departure and arrival time to and from the activity or event.
  • Avoid driving between midnight and 6 a.m.
  • Whenever possible, on extended trips using university owned or leased vehicles, have at least one other approved university driver in the vehicle. It is recommended that drivers rotate every two hours. A passenger or second driver should ride in the front passenger seat and remain awake at all times to help the driver maintain alertness.
  • Carry a flashlight, medical supply kit, and approved fire extinguisher.
  • Avoid taking medication prior to driving, especially if the label warns against operating a vehicle while taking the medication.

What To Do In An Emergency

If an emergency situation arises while on a University-affiliated trip, at minimum follow these guidelines:

  1. Contact local authorities. If traveling in the United States, dial 911;
  2. Contact the University Control Center at 254-968-9265 as soon as possible.
  3. Upon return, an incident report must be filed with Risk Management, 254-968-9237.

Additional information may be require by the University depending on the situation.

Additional Resources