Skip to page content

Travel Endorsement Signatures

As an international student or foreign exchange student it is important that you obtain a travel endorsement signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 prior to any international travel.

  • You must have a valid travel endorsement signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 to return to the U.S. after traveling abroad.
  • Each travel endorsement signature is valid for up to 12 months (6 months for F-1 OPT). You may use your current I-20 or DS-2019 if the endorsement is less than 12 months old when you re-enter and the information on page one remains the same.
  • A travel endorsement signature is issued by your DSO/Ro to confirm you are
  • The travel signature is required for returning to the U.S. It is not required for leaving the U.S.
  • If your current travel endorsement signature will expire before you will return to the U.S., you must request an updated travel signature.
  • The travel endorsement is on page 2 of your I-20 or the front page of your DS-2019.


  • Have a valid I-20 or DS-2019 issued by Tarleton State University
  • Meet immigration requirements of maintaining a full course of study
  • Have completed the online orientation for international students

How to Obtain a Travel Endorsement Signature?

To obtain a travel endorsement signature you should schedule an appointment with your DSO/RO by emailing You will be emailed with a confirmation and next steps depending on your campus.

Be sure to bring the following documents with you to your appointment:

  • Valid passport
  • F-1 or J-1 visa (if expired, please visit our visa section)
  • Tarleton-issued I-20 or DS-2019

If you are outside of the Stephenville area (F-1 students only):

  • Email and request a travel endorsement signature.
  • Mail your original I-20 to the following address and wait up to 10 days for processing:
    • Undergraduate Admissions - Immigration
    • Tarleton State University
    • Box T-0030, Stephenville, TX 76402


Emergency Travel

If you have an emergency and need to travel when the university is closed (weekends and federal holidays), go ahead and depart the U.S. The travel signature is required for returning to the U.S. It is not required for leaving the U.S. Follow the instructions above for obtaining a travel signature from outside of the Stephenville area.

What if I do not have enough time to receive a new I-20 or DS-2019 with a valid signature before returning to the U.S.?

If your travel plans do not allow enough time for us to ship a new document to you before you return to the U.S., then you must either change your anticipated return date, or travel back to the U.S. a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019.

If you choose the latter option, request Form I-515A at the immigration port of entry. This form would allow you temporary admission to the U.S. for 30 days. If admitted to the U.S. with Form I-515A, schedule an appointment with your DSO/RO immediately by emailing

Please note that the temporary admission with a Form I-515A is at the discretion of the CBP officer and cannot be guaranteed by staff at Tarleton. On rare occasion you may be denied entry to the U.S., and you should be aware of this risk before traveling.