Skip to page content


The tax deadline to file your 2019 tax forms is July 15, 2020

Below you will find information about filing your income tax with the Internal Revenue Service. All students are required to file one form or another, whether you earned income or not, since you were present in the United States during 2019. The International Programs Office can provide you with a code for Glacier Tax Prep to help you prepare your taxes for free.

Please note: The Undergraduate Admissions/Immigration office can only issue you an Access Code for the Glacier Tax Prep software. Employees are not tax professionals and cannot answer tax related questions. Any questions you may have can be directed to the Frequently Asked Questions and Help on the Glacier Tax Prep site.

If you received your permanent resident status at any time during 2019, you will not use Glacier Tax Prep. You will file using the tax service of your choice.

Because international students have different tax situations, the Undergraduate Admissions/Immigration Office has purchased tax software called Glacier Tax Prep (GTP) for students to use in preparation of a tax return. This software will ask a few questions and at the end of the process, a 1040NR-EZ tax form will be generated. You will be provided with instructions on what forms to include with your tax return and where to mail all of these forms. 

Please have the following documents ready to enter information into the GTP system:

  • Passport
  • Visa
  • I-20
  • I-94
  • Banking Information
  • W-2 Form and 1042S

It is important for each student to identify their tax situation before accessing the software. 

What is Your Tax Situation?

Students who received permanent resident status in 2019?
No U.S. income AND no taxable scholarships?
Athletes with scholarships?
Income from Tarleton State University?
No income from Tarleton State University, but income from internship employer?
Students in Post Optional Practical Training Status?
Students in the U.S. for 5+ Years?

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to file a Tax Return?
Each year, foreign students living and working in the U.S. must submit a tax return with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). However, only current students who entered the U.S. during the 2019 tax year (January 1, 2019 thru Dec. 31, 2019) or previously need to file a tax return. Students who recently entered the U.S. in the year 2020, do not need to file a tax return until the year 2021. 

Some students will receive other tax forms from their bank with information concerning interest earned on bank accounts. In most cases, these will not be used in filing your tax return. Most of the time, these statements are for notification purposes.

What should I do?
In the weeks prior to filing a tax return, students might receive different types of forms (1098T, W-2, 1042S) from their employer and/or the university. Not all students will receive the same types of tax forms. The forms issued depend on your personal tax situation. These forms will contain information on the amount of income earned, taxes paid on income earned, and taxable amounts on some or part of our scholarship awards.