Skip to page content


F-1 and J-1 students must show an ability to afford the costs of school and living expenses before entering the United States and should not plan to work off-campus.

“Employment” is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room and board, or other significant benefits. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 or J-1 regulations.

Off-campus employment opportunities generally require you to have completed at least one academic year to be eligible for authorization. Consult with your DSO or RO with any questions related to employment under your current immigration status.

For more information please review the Immigration and Customs Enforcement website.

F-1 Employment

F-1 status allows the following categories of employment:

On-Campus Employment
Curricular Practical Training
Optional Practical Training

J-1 Employment

J-1 status allows for the following categories of employment:

On-Campus Employment
Academic Training

Finding Employment

  • Handshake, managed by Career Services at Tarleton, is the overall student job application service for Tarleton State University. As an international student, you should only look for jobs that are on-campus and a maximum of 20 hours per week.
  • Visit your academic department and inquire about any job openings.
  • Ask about job openings at different offices around campus (e.g., REC Center, Computer labs, Dick Smith Library, etc.)