Skip to page content
Return to Top


All students must maintain a full course of study and have valid documentation in order to work on campus.

International students may only work up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. 

International students have a variety of options to obtain employment during their time in the United States. International Programs has compiled a list of resources to help you explore the world of employment. 

F-1 Employment

  • Campus Employment: Takes place on the school premises and the paycheck is issued directly by Tarleton State University. If you are applying for a job on campus and you learn that an entity other than Tarleton is going to pay you, please check with International Programs before accepting the job. 
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)Temporary employment authorization directly related to the student's major field of study, usually as a paid internship for course credit, located off campus. 
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)Temporary employment authorization issued by USCIS which directly relates to student’s major field of study, to be used during a degree program as well as after the completion of course requirements.

J-1 Employment 

If your DS-2019 was issued by Tarleton State University, then your ability to work on campus is the same as that of a F-1 student. However, if your DS-2019 is issued by another agency, then there must be written authorization from the program sponsor allowing you to work on the Tarleton campus. 

Finding a Job

  • The Career Services website is the overall job application service for Tarleton State University. As an international student, you should only be looking for jobs that are for 20 hours per week or less.
  • Visit your academic department and inquire about any job openings.
  • Ask about job openings at the following offices on campus:
    • Dining Hall
    • REC Center
    • Computer Laboratories
    • Dick Smith Library