Skip to page content
Return to Top

Take the steps to begin your journey:

Step 1: VisitStep 2: AdmissionsStep 3: ScholarshipsStep 4: HousingStep 5: Financial AidStep 6: First Year

Work Study

What is Work-Study?

The Work-Study programs available to students are Federal Work-Study (FWS) and Texas College Work- Study. These programs are supported by the federal and Texas governments, and provide students with an opportunity to help cover their educational expenses by working in part-time employment positions.  Work-Study positions are available on-campus at numerous departments as well as off-campus at selected non-profit employers. Off-campus positions are community service based employment positions that are part of the Community Service Work-Study Program.

How can I apply for Work-Study Employment?

In order to determine if you are eligible for Work-Study, you must submit the Work-Study Application found on our web site and have a completed FAFSA on file. By completing this application you are indicating your interest in federal or state work study. Once you have submitted the application you will receive a response specifying your eligibility or if any additional information is needed. Please allow for a few days during this process.

To qualify for Work-Study, students must have demonstrated financial need (as reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid). Additionally, students must observe the following requirements.

Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 hrs) at Tarleton State University and seeking a degree. If enrollment drops below half-time at any point, students will not be eligible to earn work study.

Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), defined by the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

What happens after I am awarded Work-Study?

Once you have been awarded Work-Study funds you can begin to apply for jobs on campus or with our community service employers where you would like to work. Available positions can be found on Hire a Texan. If you are already working for a department on campus, please inform your supervisor that you have been awarded Work-Study. They will most likely want to participate in this beneficial program.

How and when would I get paid?

Students are paid biweekly for the hours that they work within a two week time period. These payments will be made on dates outlined by the payroll schedule.

The Work Study Programs are handled through the Tarleton State Financial Aid Office. For more information contact:

Amber Evans
Financial Aid Associate II

How to Apply

  1. Review Loan Information
  2. Apply for the FASFA Online
    Determine if you're eligible for the FAFSA with our comparison chart.
  3. Review and accept awards offered in myGateway

In addition to Work-Study, Tarleton offers two student employment options below:

Intern 2 Learn

Intern 2 Learn participants work as interns in positions related to their academic curriculum and are eligible to be promoted to higher levels of responsibility and pay. This program is designed to provide relevant work experience and qualifies as a R.E.A.L. (Real World Experience Applied to Learning) internship.

Student Employment

Regular student employment can be found in many departments and facilities across campus. For a list of current student employment openings, please visit the Career Services web site.