Skip to page content
Students with their rings

How to Apply for Financial Aid

To apply for Federal, State or Institutional Aid, including student loans, you must complete either the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA).

Two Different Applications

Complete the FAFSA if:

  • You're a U.S. citizen or a non-citizen who has eligibility
  • Permanent U.S. resident with an Alien Registration card (I - 551)
  • Conditional Permanent U.S. resident with visa type I-551C
  • You're an eligible non-citizen with Arrival/Departure Record (I-94) showing one of the following:
  • Refugee
  • Asylum granted
  • Parolee (for a minimum of one year)

Complete the TASFA if:

  • You’re not a U.S. citizen, but have established Texas Residency, this program allows some undocumented students access to assistance such as in-state tuition and a limited amount of other aid.

Summer Financial Aid

Please be aware that the summer term is considered the final semester in the financial aid award year (fall, spring, summer), therefore funds are limited. Your summer financial aid will not be awarded until you're enrolled for summer courses.

  • Student must have the FAFSA or TASFA on file for the current year
  • There is no priority FAFSA or TASFA filing deadline for summer
  • For most aid, students must be enrolled half-time (6 hours undergraduate, 5 graduate during summer sessions)

Next Steps