STEM Basecamp is an exciting five-day program specifically designed to help first-year STEM students majoring in one of our College of Science and Mathematics (COSM) or the Mayfield College of Engineering (MCOE) programs. The STEM Basecamp will help you make a successful transition to college, develop skills and strategies for success, and take some of the stress out of the first semester at Tarleton.
This program is open to freshman students with a major in the College of Science and Mathematics or the Mayfield College of Engineering.
During the five-day program, you will receive materials that will help you be successful in your first mathematics course (college algebra or precalculus). In addition, the program will provide experiences to help in the first course in your specific degree program (biology, general chemistry, physics, intro to computer science, etc), as well as connect with faculty and peers in their intended major, and learn about a breadth of career options available.
STEM Basecamp benefits will include:
- Get a head start on math and major-specific course content
- Meet some of your COSM and MCOE faculty and administrators
- Begin to develop peer network of fellow STEM majors
- Participate in discussions and group activities designed to improve student success
- Receive an introduction to the rigors of college-level coursework
- Obtain improved course performance compared to students who do not participate
- Attend writing and study strategy workshops
- Charges: None – meals, housing, and supplies will be provided
- Move-In Date: TBA
- Program Dates: TBA
- Application deadline: June 30, 2023
- Acceptance notifications: July 7, 2023
- Participation Confirmation: July 10, 2023
Requirements for STEM Basecamp participation:
- Declared major in one of the COSM or MCOE BS degree programs
- Have a housing contract for the 2023-2024 academic year
- Be an incoming freshman to Tarleton State University
- Have completed freshman orientation
- Be registered for fall, 2023 classes
- Volunteer to assist fellow students on move-in day
Unfortunately, space is limited to 75 students. Selection of participants will be based on a process that reflects our student body composition. We know all students who are admitted into Tarleton have the potential to be highly successful and that all students will benefit from STEM Basecamp.