Skip to page content

Identity Standards

Use of the University Name

Per Tarleton State University Branding Guide, you can only use Tarleton State University or Tarleton on the website. You cannot use TSU, T State, or Tarleton State.

Outreach Locations and Building Names

Location and building names must be approved by the THECB. You can check the official building names on the Campus Planning website's Facilities Inventory. All usage of the term "campus" or "center" must be approved by the THECB. These names cannot be placed on locations only on the basis of Tarleton providing classes there

Name formats including approved short names for outreach locations can be viewed on the Tarleton State University Branding Guide.

Academic Departments

All institutional units (e.g. college, department, division, center and program names) must be approved by the THECB. Web Services works with Academic Affairs on changes approved by THECB

Academic Degrees, Programs and Certificates

Degrees, programs, certificates and tracks/emphases must be approved by the THECB (see THECB's Program Inventory). University Web Services maintains the Degrees Site which closely reflects the listing in the Academic Catalog for the current year as well as areas approved by THECB throughout the year.

Avoid abbreviations where possible, and spell out the degree in lower case:

  • associate degree in
  • bachelor's degree in
  • master's degree in
  • doctorate in

Examples when used as a title:

  • Associate of Arts
  • Bachelor of Arts
  • Master of Science
  • Doctor of Education

Examples when used as an abbreviation:

  • A.A., A.A.S., A.S.
  • B.A., B.A.A.S., B.S.
  • LL.M., M.A., M.B.A., M.Ed., M.S.
  • Ed.D., J.D., LL.D., Ph.D., S.J.D.

Use the abbreviation after the full name (e.g. John Doe, J.D.). Do not include if only using their last name. Do not include their courtesy title before their name when using the abbreviation.