Skip to page content

Template Layouts

Layouts are now more flexible than ever before. Need a panel of buttons towards the top? Done. Need tabbed content towards the bottom? Done. Need to move it up or down on your page? Done. No more finding the right template, just finding the right content module. 

There are two templates in the new responsive design: Right Navigation and Stacked.

A page using the Right Navigation template has everything from the Stacked template, but it is all shifted over to the left in order to provide space for the navigation on the right-hand side of the page (on tablet screen sizes or larger). Navigation on mobile screen sizes is placed in the hamburger button menu on the top-right of every web page.

This template is the most commonly used for departmental pages, etc.

Additional blocks are used specifically on this template for content that has been determined to fit underneath the right navigation. These include:

These are not available in the main section of the page. They are also unique in that they show beneath all the other content on mobile screen sizes, instead of the hamburger button menu. 

Layout Components

The Main Content Section is a collection of one or more Content Module Blocks placed in either the Stacked or Right Nav template for a webpage. The Main Content Section does not consist of the navigation, or the content underneath the navigation found on Right Nav templates, as this content represents the wayfinding and contact components of that entire website. The Main Content Section is the focus of the webpage and purpose for its existence. That is, it is the message you want to deliver to your users on that webpage.

For editors using Cascade CMS, this area is a region of the web template called DEFAULT. You can see it stand out on the preview of a webpage with a link to Edit Content. As you edit a page, you can see it appear in the editor as DEFAULT - Content Panels, indicating that panels or blocks will compose the Main Content Section. These concepts are often interchangeable when referring to how the content is stacked, one panel on top of the next, using Content Module Blocks.

For reviewers using Cascade CMS, this DEFAULT region appears in the preview of a webpage without the link and stand out, but you can get an idea of the blocks used on the page with the View Module buttons.

Editors and reviewers can select the View Module buttons to see both the type of Content Module the block is within the DEFAULT region and where it is located within Cascade CMS. 99% of the time, your Content Module Blocks will be located in a folder on the same level as the page, with the same name as the page, plus an underscore in front. This indicates the page's repository for Content Module Blocks. The other 1% of the time, the Content Module Blocks may be located on another website or folder for content reuse, or sharing, to prevent duplication and maintenance of content.

The Main Content Section of any page is not required to have any specific Content Module Block, or layout of content, so they come in a variety of flavors and behave in a variety of ways.

Currently, we have the following Layout Components used across a broad selection of Content Modules: