rotc flags

Veterans and Active Military

Students who are currently serving or have served in the military will apply as transfer students.

What You Need to Apply

JST and CCAF transcripts are only required if it is the only credit that you have completed.

What is Considered Transferable Credit?

Transferable credit is college-level academic credit completed at a regionally accredited institution. Credits considered developmental, remedial, technical, or vocational will not transfer for admission purposes. Students wishing to utilize technical or vocational courses should consult an advisor.

Credit completed at a non-regionally accredited institution may be reviewed for articulation at the student’s request. Credit must be considered academic and the instructor is required to hold a minimum of 18 graduate credits in the course discipline. The student will be required to submit the following information:

  • Documentation from the institution stating the instructor of the course as well as their curriculum vitae/educational background.
  • Contact information of who provided the above documentation.
  • Any additional documentation requested by Transfer Services.

Documentation may be delivered via the following methods:

  • Emailed to [email protected]
  • Mailed to Transfer Services Box T-0030 Stephenville, TX 76402
  • Delivered in person to any campus.

Requirements for Admission

  • Students who are currently serving or have previously served in the military should follow the general transfer requirement guidelines.
  • Students who are currently serving or have previously served in the military and have no other transferable coursework will submit Joint Services transcript (JST: Army, Navy, Marines, or Coast Guard) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript.

Please send your transcript:

Electronically to [email protected]

By mail to:
Tarleton State University
Undergraduate Admissions
Box T-0030
Stephenville, TX 76402

Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Exemption

Following acceptance to Tarleton State University, students are required to take the TSI Exam for course placement. Exemptions for the TSI include:

  • A student is waived if they are currently serving as and, for at least the three-year period preceding enrollment in the United States Armed Forces or Texas National Guard, or has served as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States (excludes reserves of Texas National Guard)
  • A student is exempt if on or after August 1, 1990, was honorably discharged, retired, or released from:
    • active duty as a member of the armed forces of the United States or the Texas National Guard; or
    • service as a member of a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States (excludes reserves of Texas National Guard).

Contact Office of Undergraduate Admissions to request the waiver/exemption form. Students must show proof each academic year. i.e., each fall semester

Texas Residency

Resident military personnel and their dependents are classified as residents, provided they maintain Texas as the Official Home of Record with the military service. Non-resident military personnel must submit an Active Duty Military Certification form to receive the tuition waiver.

Establishment of a domicile in Texas requires twelve consecutive months physical presence in the state. The military member must simultaneously file a copy of the DD2058 used to change state of legal residence to Texas and additional appropriate documentation to change his or her military records to reflect Texas as the state of legal residency. A student must also submit the Application for Reclassification form and provide appropriate supporting documentation as stated in the form.

The spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who has been assigned to duty elsewhere immediately following assignment to duty in Texas is entitled to pay the tuition fees and other fees or charges provided for Texas residents, as long as:

  • The spouse or child resides continuously in Texas, or
  • Non-resident military personnel who have separated or retired from military service while stationed in Texas and who intend to remain in Texas may be classified as residents provided certain actions are taken by the soldier one year prior to enrollment.

Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for information regarding admission process, residency requirements, and transcript questions.

Veterans Services

The Office of Veteran Services will serve you with all benefits and resources.

Additional Information

General Education information can be found on the catalog under General Education Requirements.