Skip to page content
Return to Top

Take the steps to begin your journey:

Step 1: VisitStep 2: AdmissionsStep 3: ScholarshipsStep 4: HousingStep 5: Financial AidStep 6: First Year

Residency Information

Determination of Residence for Tuition Purposes

Residency status is based on information obtained from his/her application for admission.  It is your responsibility to answer all questions on the application for admission accurately and honestly.  If you are a current student and believe that your residency status may have changed, it is your responsibility to report this to the Admissions Office.  If you are a new student/applicant and you believe that your residency status may be incorrect, please contact the Admissions Office.

To be a Texas resident, you must have resided in Texas for 12 consecutive months or more and establish a domicile in Texas PRIOR to the semester you are enrolling.

Additional documentation may be required to establish Texas residency.  Residency rules are subject to change at any time due to Texas legislation.

The student has the burden of proof to show by clear and convincing evidence that residence or domicile, as appropriate, has been established and maintained according to the rules.

The 36 Month Provision

An individual who resided in Texas for the 36 consecutive months leading up to his/her graduation from a Texas high school or receipt of a GED, and continued to maintain a residence in Texas for the 12 months leading up to his/her enrollment in an institution of higher education may be classified as a resident for tuition purposes, regardless of dependency or immigration status.  Any individual wishing to qualify under this provision who is not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States must complete and submit an Affidavit of Intent to Become a Permanent Resident to the Admissions Office in addition to the Core Residency Questions.

Students who do not meet the criteria of the 36 Month Provision may qualify for residency according to one of the following:

Independent Students

Independent students are those who provide more than half of their own financial support and are not eligible to be claimed as a dependent for income tax purposes.  In order to qualify for residency for tuition purposes, an independent student must reside in Texas while doing one of the following for the twelve consecutive months preceding the student/applicant's enrollment:

  • Own a home in Texas
  • Own a business in Texas
  • Be professionally licensed to practice or conduct business in the State of Texas
  • Be gainfully employed in a position not related to student status. Student worker positions, internships, and graduate assistantships may not be used as a basis for establishing residency in Texas.
  • Be married to a Texas resident.

Students must also provide documentation as listed on the Application for Reclassification.

Dependent Students

The residency for tuition purposes of a student who is not independent is based upon that of the parent or court-appointed legal guardian who claims that student as a dependent or provides more than half that student's financial support, regardless of the length of time the student has resided in Texas. If the parent or court-appointed legal guardian of a dependent student meets the criteria of having established residency for tuition purposes, the dependent student is eligible to pay resident tuition. Parents and legal guardians qualify for residency following the same criteria as independent students.

Military personnel and dependents of military personnel

Resident military personnel and their dependents are classified as residents, provided they maintain Texas as the Official Home of Record with the military service. Nonresident military personnel must submit an Active Duty Military Certification form to receive the tuition waiver. The spouse or child of a member of the Armed Forces of the United States who has been assigned to duty elsewhere immediately following assignment to duty in Texas is entitled to pay the tuition fees and other fees or charges provided for Texas residents as long as the spouse or child resides continuously in Texas.  Nonresident military personnel who have separated or retired from military service while stationed in Texas and who intend to remain in Texas may be classified as residents provided certain actions are taken by the soldier one year prior to enrollment. Please contact the Admissions Office for information.

International Students

International students/applicants who are eligible to establish a domicile in Texas may also qualify for Texas resident status.    Students with a F-1 Visa do not qualify.  Please contact the Admissions Office for further information.

Residency Reclassification

A student classified as a non-resident retains that classification until he/she requests reclassification in writing and provides proof of residence to the Admissions Office.  An Application for Reclassification can be completed and submitted with the appropriate document to the Office of Admissions at Box T-0030, Stephenville, TX  76402.  Applications for reclassification must be submitted prior to the official census date of the relevant term.  The student has the burden of proof to show by clear and convincing evidence that residence or domicile, as appropriate, has been established and maintained according to the rules.

If you have any questions or need further information on residency, please email or call 254-968-9752.

Bleed Purple: Wallpaper, Audio, and More Facebook Instagram Twitter You Tube