Skip to page content
Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand AllContract All

If an incident happens off-campus can charges be brought under the Code of Student Conduct?
Yes, if misconduct took place took place off-campus during the course of a University sanctioned event, the Code of Student Conduct applies. In addition, you could be subject to judicial action provided the conduct adversely affects the university and/or pursuit of its objectives.  If a violation of the Student Code of Conduct occurs off campus then the student or organization is subject to a complaint being filed with Student Judicial Affairs.
What is a sanction?
A sanction represents the consequences a student faces for having violated the Code of Student Conduct. Sanctions may affect one’s enrollment status (being placed on disciplinary probation, suspended from the university, or expelled from the university); privileges (being prohibited from operating an automobile on campus of participating in privileged activities); and finance (being fined for violating the alcohol or controlled substance policies or being required to make restitution for property damages). A combination of sanctions is utilized in most cases.
How long does it take?
It depends on the severity and/or complexity of the violations. There are times when gathering all information and/or meeting with all involved students on a particular incident takes longer. Often issues are handled with a week or two.
What is Judicial Affairs?
The office of Student Judicial Affairs acts on behalf of the University regarding issues of student discipline or misconduct. The Student Affairs Officer or a designee receives reports of alleged student misconduct and reviews them to determine whether University disciplinary action is to be pursued. Student discipline issues involve both academic and non-academic misconduct.
How long is the meeting/hearing for a policy violation?
The meeting with a Student Affairs Officer or a designee varies from twenty minutes to one hour. It really depends on the student and the incident.
What happens if I decide not to make an appointment, or fail to make an appointment?
If an appointment is not made, then a decision  can be made in the student’s absence on the basis of the information provided or may result in the student’s record being blocked.
Who has access to my discipline?
All judicial records are confidential. However, a student may give written authorization, compliance to federal and state law to release information, or a request with legitimate educational interests by university administrators, faculty and staff are honored.
Do any of the policy violations show up on my academic records?
Suspension and expulsion are the only two sanctions assigned by this office will show up on your academic record. All other sanctions are kept in the Office of Student Judicial Affairs.
Do problems in the classroom result in a student being sent to this office?
Students are sent to the Judicial Affairs Office for classroom disruption and academic dishonesty.
May I obtain legal advise from your office?
We do not have legal services at Tarleton for students.