4-Year Plan for Success
The "Plan for Success" provides students with a step-by-step guide for each year. This action plan enables students to stay on track to reach their career development goals.
Texan Fact: 61% of Tarleton Graduates obtain a career related job within 3 months of graduation (2007/08 Alumni Survey).
The national average is 52%. (National Associate of Colleges and Employers-NACE.
Self Evaluation and Career Planning
- Familiarize yourself with the Career Services Center
Room 218 in the Thompson Student Center
- Check out part-time jobs on Hire A Texan.
- Undecided about your major?
Other career assessments
- Attend job fairs to explore career opportunities.
- Participate in Job Shadow Program.
- Explore Disney or other internship opportunities.
- Get a summer job in the field you are considering.
- Develop a strong work ethic
- Gain maturity and an understanding of how to work with other people.
Career Exploration and Investigation
- Explore career opportunities and choose a major.
- Participate in Texan Shadow Program.
- Begin to build your resume.
- Consider career-related activities (i.e. summer jobs, part-time jobs, job fairs, volunteer work, internships and student organizations).
- Get a summer job related to the career you are pursuing.
- Establish professional references.
- Develop computer and job-related skills.
- Gain knowledge of the workplace
- Don't wait until your last semester to begin job searching, begin your junior year.
Gaining Career Experiences
- Continue to explore career opportunities related to your major.
- Inventory skills and abilities.
- Plan your job-search campaign.
- Put your resume online in Hire A Texan
- Begin evaluating your postgraduate choices (graduate school or employment).
- Attend career development workshops.
- Schedule FREE mock interviews and Business Etiquette Dinners ($25 fee).
- Begin internships or volunteer experiences.
- Continue to develop computer and job-related skills, and knowledge of the workplace.
- Conduct informational interviews (talk to people who are working in fields you think you would like).
- Compile reference letters, awards, commendations, etc.
Job Search and Transition Into Workplace
- Make an appointment with a career counselor to ensure your job search skills are polished.
- Assume responsibility for finding employment.
- Create and market your very own video resume profile.
- Execute job-search campaign.
- Update resume in Hire A Texan
- Make a list of potential employers, research companies, network and interview.
- Attend job fairs and schedule interviews with employers.
- Consider and review various job offers.
- Graduate! Congratulations!
Graduated? No job? Check out this article.