Skip to page content
Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand AllContract All

What Can I do with A Social Work Degree?

For sheer variety, few professions can match social work, which offers a broad range of opportunities and settings.  With a BSW (Bachelor of Social Work) from a CSWE accredited program you have a wide choice of career options.  Social workers are needed in such settings as:

  • School Social Work
  • Hospitals (medical social worker)
  • Mental Health
  • Child Welfare
  • Family Services
  • Homeless Services
  • Adoption
  • Human Services
  • Nursing Homes
  • Rehabilitation 
  • Drug and Alcohol Treatment
  • Juvenile Probation
Can I get a license to practice social work with a BSW degree?

Yes, in Texas and most other states, you can only get a license to practice social work if you have a BSW from a CSWE accredited social work program.

What is the salary range for an entry level social worker with a BSW degree?

Those just starting with a BSW and no experience can expect an annual salary of $30,000 depending on the type of work and geographic factors. A social worker with an MSW (Master’s of Social Work) can expect an annual salary of $40,000 or higher depending on experience and type of social work.

Do I need a minor to get my social work degree?

The BSW is a professional degree (like nursing or medicine) and does not require a minor.

I want to earn my MSW. What is "advanced standing"?

Advanced Standing may be awarded to graduate students who earned their BSW from a CSWE-accredited program within the last 10 years. They must have graduated with a 3.0 GPA. If a student qualifies for advanced standing, they will complete a 32-hour MSW program, which takes one year to complete

Can I minor in Social Work?

YES! We encourage diverse majors to explore minoring in social work. Contact us for requirements or for more information.