Skip to page content
Return to Top

Master of Music in Music Education

Find out how to get admitted into the College of Graduate Studies!Find out more about this online, 36 hour degree program and what sets Tarleton apart!Yes, this is totally online! Learn more about our Online campus and service.Not only is the MM in Music Education affordable, we can provide you with Financial Aid to cut the costs down further!

Find out more about this online, 36 hour degree program and what sets Tarleton apart!

Yes, this is totally online! Learn more about our Online campus and service.

Not only is the MM in Music Education affordable, we can provide you with Financial Aid to cut the costs down further!

Expand AllContract All

How do I apply?

Interested students will go to the College of Graduate Studies web site and complete the online interest form available at the bottom of this page.

What kind of music education degree will I get?

A Master in Music in Music Education, which has been approved by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.  Tarleton State University has full accreditation from the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM), and important indicator of the quality of our music programs.

Is financial assistance available?

Tuition assistance for MM students is available. Go to the Student Financial Aid page to learn about the types of aid that Tarleton has to offer.

Who are my teachers?

The courses in our graduate program will be taught by Tarleton music faculty who are members of the University's graduate faculty. These professors have advanced degrees in music education, musicology, conducting, and performance.

When is the deadline for applying?

Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but it's best if you begin your graduate application at least one month before the semester begins. The GRE is not require for admission.

What courses do I take first?

The courses within the program do not have prerequisites. You can jump into the program at any point.

I am an undergraduate. Are these classes available to me?

If you have a 3.0 or greater GPA in your last 60 hours of coursework and you are no more than 12 hours from completing your bachelor's degree, you can take a graduate course as a provisional graduate student.

Provisional students may take up to 12 hours of graduate work while completing their bachelor's degree. You should complete a Provisional admission form. Take the completed form to the graduate office along with the CRN# of the course you wish to take.

Who is my advisor?
Dr. Vicky Johnson is the coordinator of the Graduate program and will be happy to assist students with advising issues and any questions. She can be contacted at
How can I study for my comprehensive exam?
First, look over the rubric to see how the graduate faculty will be grading you.  Write out the answers to your questions as if you could turn in that paper.  Include at least three important references for each question.  More would be better in case you forget one.  Make sure you completely answer the question, including all parts and make sure your answers are structured in a logical form.  Also include how you could apply your knowledge in a real-world situation.  Then look over the rubric again to ensure that your answers would receive the maximum points.  Remember that writing mechanics count, so you might want someone else to proofread for you.  After you have thoroughly answered the questions, then study your own answers.  Read them through multiple times until you have internalized both the essence and the details.  Then practice writing the answers with no notes.  You will have three hours for four questions.  One student recorded himself reading his answers and then played the recording while he was driving.  Don't skimp on this preparation.
What are my degree track options?

Students may choose from three degree tracks:

  1. 12 courses (36 hours)
  2. 10 courses (30 hours) plus thesis (6 hours)
  3. 10 courses (30 hours) plus curriculum project (6 hours)

Students who desire to further their education with a doctoral degree should consider pursuing the Thesis Track. Students who strive to design a contemporary curriculum style or ensemble should consider the Curriculum Project Track. 

How long will it take to finish my thesis or curriculum project?
Your degree require that you register for MUSI 5388 (Thesis) or MUSI 5345 (Curriculum Project) twice (6 hours).  The length of the semester on this course can vary.  We recommend that you take 2 long semesters to complete it.  Summer also counts as one long semester.  If you try to finish it in shorter 8-week course semesters, we have found that students don't have enough time and end up having to register for the course again in order to finish.  The graduate college require that you continue to register for the course until the thesis is complete.  Therefore, the most economical plan is to take two long semesters.  Talk to your advisor if you think your situation is different.  For example, those on financial aid may be require to register for two courses per semester.  In that case, you may benefit from registering for two 8-week long sessions per semester, rather than taking the course in two long semesters.
Why does it take longer to complete a thesis?
First, you have to complete a research proposal that must be approved by the graduate faculty.  The IRB (Institutional Review Board) process can take several weeks after the IRB proposal is submitted.  You must have IRB approval for any thesis study that involves human beings (even surveys and interviews).  Then you gather data for your study, which can also take significant time, depending on your study.  The deadlines require by the College of Graduate Studies (see your handbook) can cut into your semester as well.  A curriculum project does not require IRB approval and data collection, so may be a faster alternative in some cases.  Talk to your advisor about your specific topic.