Skip to page content
Return to Top

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand AllContract All

Graduate Program

How do I apply?
Just follow the link to The College of Graduate Studies and fill out the online application available at the bottom of the page. Once you’ve been admitted, you can register for your first online class.
What kind of music education degree will I get?
We’re in the process of creating a MM in music education, which has received planning authority by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. We’re building the program course by course. The program will be complete by the time our charter students complete their coursework. For those who wish to complete their degrees at other institutions, some of the coursework may be transferable.
How much does it cost?
Graduate credits at Tarleton State University are an incredible bargain! Tarleton's tuition is lower than most other state and private universities in Texas.
Is financial assistance available?
Tuition assistance for MM students is available, such as loans, grants, scholarships. Please visit Student Financial Aid to learn about the types of aid Tarleton has to offer.
Who are my teachers?
The courses in our graduate program will be taught by Tarleton music faculty who are members of the university’s graduate faculty. These professors have advanced degrees in music education, musicology, conducting, and performance. You can read more from the Fine Arts Faculty pages.
What other courses are in the works?
Courses in music education research, advanced pedagogy, analytical techniques, and arranging are planned, as well as other elective courses, such as ethnomusicology, jazz topics, American music, and technology for the music classroom. See the table at the bottom of the page for a peek at the curriculum development in progress.
When is the deadline for applying?
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis; but it’s best if you begin your graduate application at least one month before the semester begins. The GRE is required for admission to the graduate program, but you can take one semester of classes before this deadline.
What course do I take first?
The courses within the program do not have pre-requisites. You can jump into the program at any point. The first course offered in the Fall of 2008 will be Foundations of Music Education, MUSC 5403.

New and Prospective Students

How do I become a music major?

The first step is applying to Tarleton State University for admission. Acceptance to the University does not ensure admission into the music program. To be admitted to the music program, students must:

Audition with the appropriate faculty member. (See the faculty page for contact information)

Pass a qualifying music theory test (i.e., the music placement exam) prior to the beginning of the student's first academic term in music. Students who do not pass must take MUSC 213 and subsequently pass an aural skills examination.

Perform a successful jury for the music faculty at the end of the first semester of applied lessons.

Receive a grade of C or better in Music Theory I and Applied Lessons.

After acceptance into the music program, music majors will participate in academic and performance assessment during each semester of enrollment for retention as a music major. Please see the music majors handbook for a list of minimum academic and performance standards.

Are there scholarships available?

Yes, there are several music scholarships available. Scholarships for marching band, jazz band, concert band and wind ensemble are available by audition. To set up an audition, please contact the director of the ensemble that you are interested in.

For more information about band scholarships, see Dr. Westbrook in Fine Arts Room 117, or the Administrative Secretary in Room 105. Information about Choral Scholarships can be obtained from the Director of Choirs in Room 111.

In addition to ensemble scholarships, the Department of Fine Arts offers other scholarship opportunities to music majors. Participation in more than one major ensemble is NOT a requirement for these awards. With one exception, audition information and application forms can be obtained from the Administrative Secretary in the front office (Rm. 105). Consult the Director of Piano Studies (Rm. 124) for more information about piano scholarships.

What degrees do you offer?

Bachelor of Music with all-level certification option: This is a degree program designed to prepare students for successful careers in public music education.

Bachelor of Arts Degree in Music: This program balances studies in the performance, theory, and history of Western Art Music within a liberal arts context.

Can I minor in music?
Yes, you need to have 18 hours of music classes, with three of those in music theory
Can I make a living with a degree in music?
Absolutely! Band Director, Choir Director, Studio teacher...Some of our graduates have gone on to graduate school. Some have become instrument repair techs.
What are my chances of getting into a graduate school?
All of our faculty have advanced degrees and can help you to attain your goals for graduate school. See our faculty pages for faculty members' credentials.
What instrumental ensembles are offered?
Wind Ensemble, Symphonic Band, Jazz Band I & II, Texan Marching Band, Basketball Band, Brass Quintet, Horn Choir, Trumpet Choir, Trombone Choir, Brass Choir, Saxophone Quartet, Jazz Combo, Percussion Ensemble, Steel Drum Band
What can I do with a BA in music?
Job possibilities include Music Teacher, Performer, Church Musician, Music Retailer, Music Journalist, Music Publisher, Arts Administrator, and Composer/Arranger.  It's also the foundation degree for many MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) in music education degrees, as well as the TMATE (Tarleton Model for Accelerated Teacher Education) degree program for prospective school teachers.
What do I have to do to get into the Teacher Education Program?
The requirements for admission to the Teacher Education Program are listed on the TEP web page.  Ask your assigned advisor if you have any further questions about those requirements.