|Location||Stephenville, TX 76402|
The stone wall that runs along the north side of Military Drive was began around the same time as the gateway at the front entrance. It begins at the eastern stone gate, runs in front of the E.J. Howell building, and ends at Doc Blanchard Boulevard. This structure stands between two and three feet tall. Manuel arts director E.A. Funkhouser designed this wall as well. The college paid for the project and student workers provided much of the labor. This entire section of wall was completed by 1928.
Eventually, a similar stone fence was built which surrounded the entire forty acres of the original campus. It is slightly taller than the Military Drive wall, standing almost five feet high in some areas. This project was completed throughout the 1930s, probably as a part of the Works Project Administration that employed many during the Great Depression era.
President W. O. Trogdon ordered several segments of this barrier to be torn down during his administration in between 1966 and 1982. These removals usually coincided with various campus construction projects. Occasionally, a suggestion is made requesting that the entire wall be demolished. However, it still remains one of the most familiar sights at Tarleton.
A retaining wall built in 1926 exists just across the street from the women’s dorm complex. In the wall are four hearts and the letters “J-TAC.” These letters stand for John Tarleton Agricultural College.