NEWS AND EVENTS
- Social Work Students In Action - Photos of Events Across All of Our Campus Locations
- Assessment of Tarleton BSW Student Learning Outcomes
Student Social Work Association
The purpose of the Student Social Work Association if to work for the greater good of the Tarleton campus community and the local community. SSWA is an active organization that conducts fundraising for nonprofit agencies and charities and encourages volunteering for community groups. As funding permits, members attend annual social work conference.
Some of the annual activities conducted by SSWA include:
- World AIDS Day
- Susan G Komen For The Cure Fundraiser
- Angle tree for local nursing home
- Take Back the Night
- Helped with Child Welfare Conference
- Student Day at the Legislature in Austin
Faculty Advisor Stephenville campus: Ms. Francine Pratt (email@example.com)
Faculty Advisor Waco campus: Dr. Darla Beaty firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty Advisor Fort Worth campus: Dr. Nathalie Jones email@example.com
Zeta Chapter, Phi Alpha Honor Society
The purposes of the Phi Alpha Honor Society are to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
- A Social Work major at Tarleton State University
- Have attained Junior or Senior status
- Have completed 9 semester hours of required social work courses
- Have and will maintain an overall GPA of 3.25
- Have and will maintain a GPA of 3.25 in required social work courses
Once the student(s) have met these requirements they are inducted.
Faculty Advisor: Ms. Misty Smith
International Travel and Study Abroad Opportunities
The College of Liberal and Fine Arts and the Department of Social Work, Sociology, and Criminal Justice consider International Travel and Study Abroad critically important for Personal and Career Development, as well as for the realization that we live in a global village, a world-wide community. More and more employers are asking students have you studied abroad? Since we recognize the importance of international experiences, we will continue to provide students with the tools that will help you evolve into leaders in Social Work, Sociology, and Criminal Justice in the global society of the 21st century. For other travel opportunities, be sure you fully explore all of Tarleton State University's Study Abroad Programs.
For Further Information Contact
Every fall and spring semester a Social Work student is awarded $500 from the the Social Work Program's Herbert Jarrett Scholarship. Any social work student that is interested contact the scholarship office for further information.
Careers in Social Work
As BSW graduates of Tarleton State University, alumni are employed in a variety of work settings, including public and private programs that include:
- Nursing homes/hospices/hospitals/home care agencies
- Substance abuse programs
- Mental health/mental retardation services
- Vocational rehabilitation services
- Community action agencies
- Family/children/youth/aging services
- Residential treatment programs
- Domestic violence program
- Homeless shelters
- Criminal justice agencies/courts
The Council of Social Work Education accredits the Tarleton State University Social Work Program. During the program students will have an opportunity to join the National Association of Social work (NASW) the largest professional social work organization in the United States, as well as the Texas Chapter.
- Council of Social Work Education
- Gerontological Society of America
- National Council of Family Relations
- National Organizations of Social Workers
- National Organizations of Social Workers/Texas Chapter
- The New Social Worker
- Society of Social Work and Research