Printing Services - Frequently Asked Questions
Effective June 1, 2012, a university student printing policy will go into effect that will reduce excessive printing in campus computer labs. The decision to implement this policy was made very carefully in order to be an environmentally friendly institution and to live within budget constraints. This "pay-as-you-print" initiative is the best option for Tarleton. This page offers a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) concerning the new student printing policy. Updates will become available as the policy implementation date nears.
New Printing Policy Initiative Approved by Tarleton State University Executive Cabinet Monday, May 07, 2012
- Each student will be allocated a credit of $5.00 per semester (fall, spring and summer).
- Allocations do not roll over from semester to semester.
- Any remaining funds are cleared at the end of each semester and a new $5 credit is set.
- Allocations are not created for mini-mesters and other derivatives of the fall, spring and summer semesters. However, remaining balances are available during the interim until the start of the next long or summer semester.
Why is Tarleton State University charging for printing?
The major factor driving the decision was the amount of waste that computer labs and the Dick Smith Library are seeing on a daily basis. Patrons of the labs and the library routinely print documents that are never picked up. The costs for printing, paper and toner have increased significantly. We wish to encourage responsible printing and a wise use of resources.
What is an example of the expense of student printing?
Since the beginning of the fall semester, the total number of free prints by students on Tarleton’s main campus (in all general access & instructional labs, as well as the library) has been 2,501,769.
Expenses related to this high number of pages printed include costs of paper, toner and equipment, as well as the costs of staffing, time on troubleshooting and licensing related to printing.
What is the expense of student printing?
To date, the Dick Smith Library and CII's Classroom and Lab Support Services budgets have absorbed increasing costs related to printing at Tarleton. These include costs for paper, toner, licensing, and equipment depreciation and replacement. It also includes costs for staffing and time spent troubleshooting, which are harder to quantify.
The following represents only expenses related to paper, toner, and equipment for FY 2009 and FY 2010:
|FY2009 (September 2008-August 2009)||$65,533|
|FY2010 (September 2009-August 2010)
How much will printing cost?
- Simplex Printing (one-sided): 5 cents per sheet
- Duplex Printing (two-sided): 8 cents per sheet
- Color Printing (one-sided): 15 cents per sheet
- Color Printing (two-sided): 18 cents per sheet
When will these charges begin?
The charges will begin June 1, 2012.
Will this apply to all students?
Will this apply to all Tarleton locations (Hickman, Schaeffer, and Stephenville)?
Where are the labs charging for printing located?
All computer workstations and classrooms in the Dick Smith Library, Open Access labs located at Stephenville, and Instructional Computer labs located at Hickman, Schaeffer, and Stephenville will require charging for printing.
How do I pay for printing?
You will use Texan Bucks to pay for printing in Tarleton labs, classrooms and the Dick Smith Library.
Can I use Dining Hall Dollars to pay for printing?
No, Dining Hall Dollars may only be used in our on-campus dining and food retail outlets.
How do I deposit money into my Texan Bucks account?
- Visit https://tarleton.managemyid.com/student/login.php to make an online deposit to your Texan Bucks account,
- You can come into the office (Tarleton Center, Room 101) with cash or check, or
- You can deposit cash at our deposit stations in the Thompson Student Center (near the Post Office), the Hunewell lobby, Centennial Hall and the lobby of the Dick Smith Library.
Will the card swipe printing stations accept credit cards?
No, you must swipe your Texan Card and have sufficient Texan Bucks to pay for printing.
Can I pay cash at the printing locations?
No, you may not use cash at the printing locations.
Can I get credit for something I did not intend to print?
No. The price of your print job will be displayed on the screen before printing. If you agree to the charges, there will be no refunds or credits.
How do I get a reprint if the printer malfunctions?
If you are printing in a computer lab and you need a reprint because of printer failure, do the following:
- Make the reprint request within 24 hours of the failed print job.
- Go to either COBA 212, MATH 226, or SCI 207 to ask a student worker or lab technician for a reprint. Call 254-968-1934 to confirm the location is open.
- Bring your UID, location where the print failed, and the print job name if you have it.
- We will reprint your job at no cost if the printer caused the failed job.
If you are printing at the Dick Smith Library,
- Go immediately to the main floor information desk (Library Hours).
- Bring your UID, location where the print failed, and the print job name/application if you have it.
- We will reprint your job at no additional cost if the printer caused the failed job.
If my Texan Bucks balance is insufficient to print a required class assignment, what do I do?
You can add funds to your Texan Bucks in class using a credit card at https://tarleton.managemyid.com/student/login.php.
Can I print now and pay later?
No, you must have the appropriate amount of funds to pay at the time you are printing.
How do I print if I don't have my Texan Card?
Students will have the option of either swiping the Texan Card or entering the NTNET username and password to pay for printing. Both methods will work at the print release stations.
Will I start the semester with some amount of free prints?
Each Tarleton student will receive a $5 allowance at the start of each semester - fall, spring and summer. If additional printing is needed, students may add funds to their Texan Card account.
If I print to the queue, how long do I have to release the print job at one of the print stations?
Your print job will be held in the queue for 24 hours. You can print your job from any of the release stations within that period.
Can I print from my personal laptop or tablet?
No, you may not use your personal laptops or tablets to print from the Tarleton printers.
Do I have to pay for printing that my instructor requires?
Doesn't my tuition pay for printing? Doesn't my library fee or course fee pay for printing?
No. For detailed information on tuition and fees, see the Explanation of Fees page on the Business Services website.
How was the cost per page determined?
The cost per page is based on the cost of providing printing services. This includes cost of all printing hardware and consumables. The charge is strictly for cost recovery purposes.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
If you don’t find the answer here, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help.