Mailbox Rules & Regulations
Welcome all students to the Tarleton Post Office! In order to ensure a good working relationship between the students and ourselves, we feel it is important to inform you of several regulations and procedures that must be followed:
- The mail is picked up at the downtown post office at 7:15 AM during the week and is normally in the mailboxes by 9:00 AM. The post office window is open from 9:00 to 4:00 Monday-Friday. Mail is delivered to boxes on Saturdays during spring and fall, but no window services are provided that day. Outgoing mail is picked up by the downtown post office at 3:30 PM during the week.
- Students may keep their post office box key over Christmas vacation if they are returning for the spring; however, if you are not enrolled over the summer or upon withdrawing from the university, all keys must be returned to the post office.
- In the event that you withdraw or leave for the summer and do not return your key, or pay for your box, your records will be blocked and your mail will be returned to sender.
- All students residing in university housing are furnished a post office box as part of their housing fee. A student not living in housing may rent a box by paying $13.00 for each long (fall and spring) semester and $10.50 for the entire summer. If the box rent is not paid, your mail will be returned to sender.
- Keys will be issued at orientation registration or may be obtained from the post office. However, if a student withdraws from the university, the key must be turned in immediately.
- When returning your key, it is necessary to fill-out a USPS change of address form located at the post office. If this is not on file at the post office, all mail will be returned to sender
- If a box key is lost, it will cost $35.00 to replace it.
- No letter mail will be handed-out at the window without a key. If a person has paid for a lost key that has not arrived, proof of payment will be required in order to obtain your mail.
- Mail can only be delivered to your mailbox. Do not give your dorm room as an address.
- The only cases in which two or more people will be allowed to share a box is if they are married.
- Only mail that is addressed to the box holder will be placed in that box.
- The post office is a fully functional USPS station offering all USPS services except cashing of postal money orders, but because it is a contract station, we also receive UPS, FedEx, and DHL. It is important to remember that when ordering something to be sent by these carriers, it may be necessary to inform them that this is a contract station and these carriers deliver here on a daily basis.
- If you receive a package that is too large for your mailbox, a notice will be put in your mailbox and the package can be picked up at the window.
We believe that by following these procedures, we may provide you with efficient mailing services that will be beneficial to all involved.