Center of Mass
The center-of-mass is the location in space that obeys Newton's Laws for the motion of an extended object. It is extremely important when analyzing the motion or stability of real world objects like the human body or a bridge. It is also plays an important roll in doing energy analysis of objects that undergo general motion (both rotation and translation).
- Printable Outline Notes on Center-of-Mass - Pdf
- Definition of the Center of Mass - Video
- Finding the Center of Mass for More Complicated Objects - Video
- Analyzing Motion of Systems Using the Center of Mass - Video
- Dog on Boat Example - Pdf
- Dog on Boat Example - Video
- Module Learning Objectives
- Return To Class Home Page
Physics Website Links
- 1. Khan Academy Center of Mass
- 2. MIT Linear Momentum
- 3. Mechanical Universe "Linear Momentum"
- 4. Giancoli Textbook Website
Tarleton Physics Links
Click on on one of the graphic icons and explore our website further to see what makes physics at Tarleton unique!!
One of the best equipped undergraduate programs in the US!!
- 32" Telescope
- Tandem Accelerator
- Electron Microscope
- X-ray Diffraction System
- Leybold CT System
- Laser Facility
Specialty tracks to match your career needs:
- Medical Physics - Pre-Med, Pre-Dental, Pre-Pharmacy, etc.
- High School Teaching - Math/Physics or Physics/Chemistry
- Nuclear Engineering/Nuclear Physics (Tarleton-Texas A&M Partnership)
- Classical Track - Get a Second Degree in Math, Computer Science, Chemistry, Business, etc. or Prepare for Law School
We offer our students courses not generally found at smaller institutions like:
- Computational Physics
- Medical Physics I & II
- Microwave Theory
- Nuclear Physics
- Solid State Physics
- Principles of Nuclear Engineering
- Nuclear Reactor Theory
- Graduate Quantum Mechanics
- Graduate Mechanics