Skip to page content
Return to Top

About Mu Phi Epsilon

Crest

Mu Phi Epsilon is an International Professional Music Fraternity whose purposes are the recognition of scholarship and musicianship and the promotion of friendship. Its aims are the advancement of music throughout the world, the promotion of musicianship and scholarship, loyalty to the Alma Mater, and the development of a true bond of friendship. The Fraternity is composed of Collegiate Chapters, Alumni Chapters and Allied Members.

Mu Phi Epsilon was founded at the Metropolitan College of Music in Cincinnati, Ohio, on November 13, 1903, by Professor Winthrop S. Sterling, Dean of the college, and Elizabeth Mathias a member of the faculty. Professor Sterling had in mind an organization for women comparable in aim to Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Music Fraternity for men. First he considered associate membership in Phi Mu Alpha, but decided to establish an organization for women only, to advance the cause of music in America and at the same time develop fine young women bound together in friendship through their common interest in the art of music.

The Sorority was expanded within a month with the installation of Beta Chapter, New England Conservatory, Boston, December 13, 1903 and within the first year with the installation of Gamma Chapter, University of Michigan School of Music, Ann Arbor, May 20, 1904.

Mu Phi Epsilon became a co-educational Professional Music Fraternity in 1977 in compliance with federal regulations of Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972.

Since its beginning, Mu Phi Epsilon has installed more than 210 chapters.  Today Mu Phi Epsilon has 85 active collegiate chapters and 58 active alumni chapters, with allied members all over the world.