Course Reserve Information
General Guidelines for Reserve materials:
- Do not place copies of materials on reserve unless the instructor, the Library, or another department of the University possesses a lawfully obtained copy.
- When submitting someone else's work to Reserves, please include complete bibliographic citation information and copyright statement, if there is one.
- Faculty members may not request that Reserve Services provide access to copies of the same material for successive terms unless they have received the copyright holders written permission.
- Using the provisions of fair use, the total amount of material on reserve for a class should be a small proportion of the total assigned reading for that class. Complete or longer works, such as entire books, will not be placed on e-Reserves.
- Materials are available only to the Tarleton State University community and all users are expected to adhere to copyright and fair use guidelines.
- All faculty reserves are removed from the collection automatically at the end of the fall, spring, and summer terms.
To submit materials for print or e-Reserves:
- You MUST complete the reserve request form and sign the copyright compliance agreement. Form must be signed EACH semester.
- Forms are available online or at the circulation desks in Stephenville or Killeen. The information on the request form is needed for print or electronic format.
- Acceptable Formats for E-Reserves:
- Attachments in an email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Documents from Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or PDF
- Photocopies - With appropriate copyright compliance library staff will scan or assist you in scanning materials.
- Weblinks: Database links, web pages.
- Paper copies must be 8.5" x 11" only with one-half inch margins on all sides. Please submit clean, first generation copies with no black margins or center stripe. Do not staple.
- Include complete bibliographic citation information for the work from which the copies were made and copyright statement, if there is one.
- Identify the items in the same manner as in your syllabus.
- Indicate the semester and circulation period (2 hours, overnight, 2 days, or 7 days)
- When submitting someone else's work, please include complete bibliographic citation information and copyright statement, if there is one.
- Submit request forms and materials to Jennifer Barrera: email@example.com or 254-968-9248
Reserves WITHOUT PUBLISHER PERMISSION
- Books (for print reserve collection only)
- Tarleton Library Books
- Personal copies of books (supplied by instructors)
- A single copy of a chapter, or excerpt from a book
- Photocopies of single journal or newspaper articles
- Instructor authored material (exams, lecture notes, syllabi, etc.)
When to OBTAIN COPYRIGHT PERMISSION
- When an instructor needs an article from a journal for more than one semester
- When multiple articles from one journal issue are needed
- When an instructor needs one chapter of a book for more than one semester
- When multiple chapters of a book are needed
- When the book is out-of-print