Tarleton faculty, staff, students, area residents, and others are welcome to utilize the resources of the Dick Smith Library. The library requires that acceptable identification (Tarleton ID cards, in most cases) be presented each time library materials are checked out.
If a patron loses an ID card, they MUST notify the Texan Card Office and the Library. A new card will be issued by the Texan Card Office, Room 101 of the Tarleton Center, but there is a replacement fee charged.
Borrowers And Responsibilities
- Patrons are responsible for all materials borrowed on their ID cards. The library will assess fees for overdue, lost, and damaged materials.
- Library notices will be sent to all patrons via valid email addresses and mailed to all others.
- The Library has no obligation to the borrower for the inaccuracy or absence of a current email or mailing address. Notices or other correspondence will be assumed to have been delivered properly.
- Patrons are responsible for returning or renewing library materials by the due date indicated. Failure to do so may result in blocking of university records and/or library privileges.
|Students||End of Semester||20 items|
|Staff||Length of Employment||
|Faculty||Length of Employment||
|Alumni||Current TAA Membership
|Friends||Current Friends Membership (Fee Required)||
|Upward Bound||Program Participant||
|TexShare||Current TexShare Card||
|Texas A&M Sys. Fac.||Current University ID||
|Teacher Mentors||Current Teacher/Mentor ID||
- Materials may be renewed if there is no need for the item by another user.
- Any accrued fines must be paid before renewals or further checkouts.
- Items overdue for a year are subject to replacement charges.
|Reserve||Varies by instructor preference||With Permission||Library Use Only|
|General||28 days||Full Semester||28 days|
|Education||7 days||Full Semester||7 days|
|Government Documents (U.S./Texas)||28 days||Full Semester||28 days|
|A/V Materials (Audiobooks/CDs/Slides)||28 days||Full Semester||28 days|
|DVDs||7 days||Full Semester||7 days|
|Anatomical 3D Models||7 days||Full Semester||7 days|
|Vinyl Record||Library Use Only||With Permission||Library Use Only|
|Limited||Library Use Only||With Permission||Library Use Only|
|Reference||Library Use Only||With Permission||Library Use Only|
- current issues
- bound volumes
Library Use Only
Library Use Only
24 hours - Current
28 days - Bound
Library Use Only
Library Use Only
Fines And Fees
Overdue Library Material
A fine of $.10 per day is assessed for each overdue item. Notices will be emailed or mailed to notify the patron of overdue material before a bill for the replacement cost is issued. Unpaid bills will result in a block placed on the patrons record.
Appeals of library fines must first be directed to the Circulation Manager. The Circulation Manager will investigate the situation and make a decision regarding the fee. If a resolution cannot be reached between the user and Circulation Manager, the user may take their appeal to the Access Services Librarian, either in person by appointment or in writing using the APPEAL FORM to Kym Schow, Access Services Librarian (Schow@tarleton.edu). The written appeal includes the user’s name, TSU ID number, telephone, email, and current mailing address. In addition, the user must explain why they believe the charges should be reduced or waived as well as why the resolution of the Circulation Manager was unsatisfactory. The user will receive the decision determined by the Head of Access Services by phone, in person, or by written explanation within one week.
If unresolved with the Head of Access Services, the user may request that their appeal be forwarded to Donna Savage (email@example.com), University Librarian. The decision of the University Librarian will be final. All users requesting an appeal will be given a full explanation for the final decision.
- It is decided that the user is in error and the charges must be paid;
- It is decided that the library is in error and the charges will be withdrawn; or
- It is decided that the patron is in error but charges should be reduced or waived due to special circumstances.
- lack of knowledge of library rules or the amount of charges
- being too busy to return items
- allowing others to borrow materials on your account which are returned late or lost
- being out of town
- uncertainty about the due date
- failing to receive an overdue notice
- failing to read e-mail notifications
Due to high demand for reserve items, these materials have proportionately higher overdue fines. Loan periods for reserve material are determined by faculty and range from 2-hours/in-library use to 7 day loans.
Items determined to be lost are assessed fees on the following basis: the current cost of replacement plus a processing fee of $10.50. Fees must be cleared to maintain circulation privileges, receive grades, transcripts, and to register for classes.
Materials reported lost and paid for and subsequently recovered and returned to the library within thirty (30) days are eligible for a refund. The processing fee and any overdue fines will be retained in all cases.
Texan cards are issued to all Students, Faculty, and Staff, and current Friends of the Library. Texan Cards are used in the library to checkout items, pay fines, purchase copies, transparencies or laminating. Texan cards can also be used at the Study Grounds Café located in the library.
Texan Card Kiosk
A Texan Card kiosk is located on the main level of the Dick Smith Library. The Kiosk also dispenses guest copy cards for a $1.00 minimum purchase. Additional funds may be added to the copy cards at the Kiosk or online at https://tarleton.managemyid.com/student/login.php.
The Texan Card office issues departmental cards to campus departments. Departments must go to the Texan Card office to transfer funds.
Book Locator Service
If needed material is on loan, a "hold" may be placed on the item online or at the circulation desk. When requested material is returned, the requester will be notified and has five (5) days from notification to claim it.
- Photocopiers are available in the library at $.05 per copy. You may use a Texan Card, Guest copy card, or cash to pay for copies.
- Microfilm/fiche printers require a Guest or Texan card to print.
- Color copies are available at the Circulation Desk for $.50 per copy.
- Blank transparencies suitable for use in library copiers may be purchased for $.50 each.
- Available to all library users.
- All faxing will be done by library staff. Users can bring items to be faxed to the Circulation Desk.
- Faxes need to be provided to staff single-sided.
- Customers provide coversheet. Coversheets do count as 1 page.
- Users will be able to receive faxes, only if prior arrangements have been made with the circulation staff. Due to the sensitive nature of documents being faxed, materials will not be held past the end of each business day.
- Cost: $1.00/ up to 5 pages and $.25 each additional page (PER FAX)
An Interbank ATM machine is located in the main level copy center.
Headphones for computers are available for purchase in the Campus Bookstore vending machine, located on the library main level.
Students, faculty, and staff may check out laptop computers for in-library use only. Borrowers will be asked to complete a loan agreement accepting responsibility for any loss or damage to the computer. Laptops circulate for 4 hours and may be renewed for one additional period.
Follow this link for a complete set of laptop circulation policies.
- Network connections are located throughout the building. Personal laptops must have a network card to use this access.
- A wireless network to allow users to access library resources and the Internet from laptop computers is available within the library building. The Library's wireless network uses the 802.11b industry standard and any laptop computer with an 11 Mbps wireless network card can connect to the wireless network.
A laminating service is available on the main floor, and can be accessed by asking at the Circulation desk. The charge is $1.00 per foot.
There is no charge for using the public lockers located on the third floor. Keys are available at the circulation desk for checkout and renewal. The charge for a lost locker key is $15.00.
Rooms are reserved at the Circulation Desk for group study or special events. The Multi-Purpose room will accommodate groups of 40 with tables and 70 with chairs only, Room 225 seats 8, and Room 231 seats 6. Individuals/Groups reserving rooms are responsible for their own setting-up and cleanup.
Eight first-come, first-serve study rooms and seven first-come, first-serve individual study rooms are located on the upper level of the library.
Mobile White Boards
8 wheeled white boards are located throughout the library. Sets of dry erase makers can be checked out from the circulation desk.
Practice Presentation Room
Located in the lower level, this room is available for students to rehearse presentations. Reserve the room at the Circulation Desk. The room is equipped with a projector, computer on a podium with chair, and Smartboard, as well as three tables and nine chairs. Individuals/Groups reserving this room are responsible for their own setting-up and cleanup.
The library has two walk-up KIC scanners. Documents can be scanned in black & white or color. Scanned images can be emailed or save to a flash drive.
Supply Vending Machine
A Campus Bookstore vending machine is located on the main level of the library. Typical items available include pens, pencils, scantrons, blue books, headphones, and highlighters.
Lost items are usually kept at the Circulation Desk. Unclaimed items are turned over to the Tarleton Police Department weekly.