FAQs & Research Tips
Dick Smith Library offers research and informational assistance you can access in a variety of ways:
- Call 254-968-9249 or come see us anytime during regular library hours.
- Send questions to Ask a librarian. We'll respond as soon as possible.
- Use the online tutorials and tip sheets linked below.
The tip sheets, instructions, and guidelines listed below are designed to answer your questions and make your research endeavors more efficient and less stressful.
If the information you need is not listed, please contact the library's Reference Department (254-968-9249 or firstname.lastname@example.org). We are eager to answer your questions.
Online Access & Assistance
- Usernames & passwords for library services
- Off-campus & distance learner library services
- Technology policies
- Ask for research assistance
- Borrow what you need
- Request technical assistance
- Research on the go
- Learn more
- Glossary of library terms
- Library of Congress call numbers
Strategies For Library Research
- Getting started with research
- define information needs
- select appropriate sources
- identify periodical types
- choose primary or secondary sources
- Creating effective searches
- identify search terms
- keep a research log
- use search strategies - phrases, Boolean operators, truncation, and wildcards
- Using citations to find sources
- Figure out citation types
- SFX: Track down articles
- Catalog: Track down books
- Evaluating research findings
- Researching ethically