Tarleton faculty, staff, students, area residents, and others are welcome to utilize the resources of the Dick Smith Library. The library requires that acceptable identification (Tarleton ID cards, in most cases) be presented each time library materials are checked out.Lost Cards
If a patron loses an ID card, they MUST notify the Texan Card Office and the Library. A new card will be issued by the Texan Card Office, Room 101 of the Tarleton Center, but there is a replacement fee charged.
Borrowers And Responsibilities
- Patrons are responsible for all materials borrowed on their ID cards. The library will assess fees for overdue, lost, and damaged materials.
- Library notices will be sent to all patrons via valid email addresses and mailed to all others.
- The Library has no obligation to the borrower for the inaccuracy or absence of a current email or mailing address. Notices or other correspondence will be assumed to have been delivered properly.
- Patrons are responsible for returning or renewing library materials by the due date indicated. Failure to do so may result in blocking of university records and/or library privileges.
|Students||End of Semester||20 items|
|Staff||Length of Employment||
|Faculty||Length of Employment||
|Alumni||Current TAA Membership
|Friends||Current Friends Membership (Fee Required)||
|Upward Bound||Program Participant||
|TexShare||Current TexShare Card||
|Texas A&M Sys. Fac.||Current University ID||
|Teacher Mentors||Current Teacher/Mentor ID||
- Materials may be renewed if there is no need for the item by another user.
- Any accrued fines must be paid before renewals or further checkouts.
- Items overdue for a year are subject to replacement charges.
|General||28 days||Full Semester||28 days|
|Education||7 days||Full Semester||7 days|
|Documents||28 days||Full Semester||28 days|
|A/V Materials||28 days||Full Semester||28 days|
|CDs/DVDs||7 days||Full Semester||7 days|
|Limited||Library Use Only||With Permission||Library Use Only|
|Reference||Library Use Only||With Permission||Library Use Only|
|Reserve||Library Use Only/2HR||With Permission||Library Use Only|
- current issues
- bound volumes
Library Use Only
Library Use Only
24 hours - Current
28 days - Bound
Library Use Only
Library Use Only
Fines And Fees
Overdue Library Material
A fine of $.10 per day is assessed for each overdue item. Notices will be emailed or mailed to notify the patron of overdue material before a bill for the replacement cost is issued. Unpaid bills will result in a block placed on the patrons record.
Appeals of library fines must first be directed to the Circulation Manager. The Circulation Manager will investigate the situation and make a decision regarding the fee. If a resolution cannot be reached between the user and Circulation Manager, the user may take their appeal to the Access Services Librarian, either in person by appointment or in writing using the APPEAL FORM to Kym Schow, Access Services Librarian (Schow@tarleton.edu). The written appeal includes the user’s name, TSU ID number, telephone, email, and current mailing address. In addition, the user must explain why they believe the charges should be reduced or waived as well as why the resolution of the Circulation Manager was unsatisfactory. The user will receive the decision determined by the Head of Access Services by phone, in person, or by written explanation within one week.
If unresolved with the Head of Access Services, the user may request that their appeal be forwarded to Donna Savage (firstname.lastname@example.org), University Librarian. The decision of the University Librarian will be final. All users requesting an appeal will be given a full explanation for the final decision.
- It is decided that the user is in error and the charges must be paid;
- It is decided that the library is in error and the charges will be withdrawn; or
- It is decided that the patron is in error but charges should be reduced or waived due to special circumstances.
- lack of knowledge of library rules or the amount of charges
- being too busy to return items
- allowing others to borrow materials on your account which are returned late or lost
- being out of town
- uncertainty about the due date
- failing to receive an overdue notice
- failing to read e-mail notifications
Due to high demand for reserve items, these materials have proportionately higher overdue fines. Loan periods for reserve material are determined by faculty and range from 2-hours/in-library use to 7 day loans.
Items determined to be lost are assessed fees on the following basis: the current cost of replacement plus a processing fee of $10.50. Fees must be cleared to maintain circulation privileges, receive grades, transcripts, and to register for classes.
Materials reported lost and paid for and subsequently recovered and returned to the library within thirty (30) days are eligible for a refund. The processing fee and any overdue fines will be retained in all cases.
Texan cards are issued to all Students, Faculty, and Staff, and current Friends of the Library. Texan Cards are used in the library to checkout items, pay fines, purchase copies, transparencies or laminating. Texan cards can also be used at the Suavé Cafe located in the lobby of the library. (Cards are obtained by going to the Texan Card Office, RM 101, Tarleton Center.)
Texan Card Kiosk
A Texan Card kiosk is located in the lobby of the Dick Smith Library. Texan card accounts must be activated before additional money can be added through the kiosk. Activation is handled at the Texan Card office. The Kiosk also dispenses guest copy cards for a $1.00 minimum purchase. Additional funds may be added to the copy cards at the Kiosk.
The Texan Card office issues departmental cards to campus departments. Departments must go to the Texan Card office to transfer funds.
Book Locator Service
If needed material is on loan, a "hold" may be placed on the item online or at the circulation desk. When requested material is returned, the requester will be notified and has five (5) days from notification to claim it.
- Photocopiers are available in the library at $.05 per copy. You may use a Texan Card, Guest copy card, or cash to pay for copies.
- Two copiers are located on the main level, one near the information desk and one in the back periodicals area.
- One copier is located on the lower level, behind the cubical wall.
- Microfilm/fiche printers require a Guest or Texan card to print.
- Color copies are available at the Circulation Desk for $1 per copy.
- Blank transparencies suitable for use in library copiers may be purchased for $.50 each.
- Available to all library users.
- All faxing will be done by library staff. Users can bring items to be faxed to the Circulation Desk.
- Faxes need to be provided to staff single-sided.
- Customers provide coversheet. Coversheets do count as 1 page.
- Users will be able to receive faxes, only if prior arrangements have been made with the circulation staff. Due to the sensitive nature of documents being faxed, materials will not be held past the end of each business day.
- Cost: $1.00/ up to 5 pages and $.25 each additional page (PER FAX)
AV equipment is available for checkout for in-library use only. Items available: TVs and VCRs, DVD, overhead projectors, slide projector with cassette player, filmstrip with cassette player, cassette tape record/player, opaque projector.
Graphing calculators are available to checkout for in-library use only.
Headphones for computers are available for purchase at the circulation desk.
Students, faculty, and staff may check out laptop computers for in-library use only. Borrowers will be asked to complete a loan agreement accepting responsibility for any loss or damage to the computer. Laptops circulate for 4 hours and may be renewed for one additional period.
Follow this link for a complete set of laptop circulation policies.
- Network connections are located throughout the building. Personal laptops must have a network card to use this access.
- A wireless network to allow users to access library resources and the Internet from laptop computers is available within the library building. The Library's wireless network uses the 802.11b industry standard and any laptop computer with an 11 Mbps wireless network card can connect to the wireless network.
A laminating service is available in the Special Collections area (lower floor). The charge is $1.00 per foot.
There is no charge for using the public lockers located on the third floor. Keys are available at the circulation desk for checkout and renewal. The charge for a lost locker key is $7.50.
Rooms are reserved at the Circulation Desk for group study or special events. The Multi-Purpose room will accommodate groups from 72-100, Room 106 seats 12-14, and Room 225 seats 8. Individuals/Groups reserving rooms are responsible for their own setting-up and cleanup.
Nine first-come, first-serve study rooms are located on the upper level, located near the mural.
Lost items are usually kept at the Circulation Desk. Unclaimed items are turned over to the Tarleton Police Department at the end of each semester.