Would you like to be part of a select group of students chosen on the basis of demonstrated excellence in academics as well as leadership, service, and a capacity for intellectual inquiry? Do you have a strong desire to further your education, not only toward the end of job security or professional advancement but with the goals of developing your mind, increasing your knowledge, and benefiting society?
If you are an academically talented student with a commitment to excellence, one of Tarleton’s two Honors programs may be a good fit for you. In either program, the Presidential Honors Program or the Honors Degree Program, you’ll be part of an Honors community that combines the advantages of a small liberal arts college with the diversity of a comprehensive state university.
What is different about Honors Classes?
Although the requirements for the two programs differ, much of the Honors curriculum is the same. Students in both programs take Honors sections of core curriculum courses.
- limited to 25 students
- taught by distinguished senior faculty members
- offer intellectually challenging material
- offer innovative approaches to the subject
- offer increased opportunities for honing critical thinking and writing skills
- offer the opportunity to interact closely with similarly motivated students
- emphasize discussion and student participation
- use primary sources and monographs over textbooks
- use special lab equipment that would not be available to most undergraduate students
- emphasize student projects and research
- emphasize essay exams over multiple choice
What are other benefits of the Honors College?
Students in both programs also have a number of opportunities for educational and cultural enrichment:
- Interaction with Honors College Visiting Scholars
- Trips to cultural events at Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth
- Tours of the Kimbell, Amon Carter, and Modern Art Museums in Fort Worth
- Early registration each semester
- Housing in Honors Hall
- Invitation to special Texan Scholars Orientation
- Opportunities for study abroad