Skip to page content
Return to Top

Take the steps to begin your journey:

Step 1: VisitStep 2: AdmissionsStep 3: ScholarshipsStep 4: HousingStep 5: Financial AidStep 6: First Year

Satisfactory Academic Progress


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the term used to denote a student's successful completion of coursework toward a certificate or degree. Financial Aid must monitor the progress of each student toward the completion of a certificate or degree in order to meet federal and state guidelines governing the administration of student financial assistance. Students who fall behind in their coursework or fail to achieve minimum standards for grade point average and completion of classes may lose their eligibility for all types of federal, state, and university aid administered by Financial Aid. SAP is evaluated at the end of Spring.

SAP Components

There are three components to SAP. Failure to comply with any component may result in a loss of aid eligibility. The three components are as follows:

     1. Minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA)

               Undergraduate Students: 2.0

               Graduate Students: 3.0

               Doctoral Students: 3.0

     2.  Completion Rate (Deficit Hours)

          While students are expected to enroll in full-time to be eligible for financial aid, each student must successfully complete at least 75% of all credit hours attempted.        

          This percentage includes all institutional and transfer credit hours, regardless of whether or not financial aid was received.

          Grades of W, F, I Q, WF, and grad exclusions are not considered to be adequate grades for completion.

     3.  MAXIMUM HOURS (Excessive Hours)

          Students are expected to complete their degree pursuits within a maximum timeframe, including transfer hours earned as well as institutional attempted hours.

          Our policy for Excessive Hours is based on the minimal credit hours a student must have in order to be eligible to complete a degree. Credit hours are cumulative, thus students      working towards obtaining more than one degree in the same category (i.e. two Master) may also be blocked for Excessive Hours.This applies when a student changes majors.

          Students may not receive financial assistance beyond the following:

                Undergraduate Students: 192 hrs

                Graduate Students: 54 hrs

                Doctoral Students: 108 hrs

     *** Credit hours are cumulative; thus, students obtaining more than the maximum hours (e.g., change in major) may reach this maximum timeframe before completing their course  of study and may need to appeal the timeframe eligibility.


The Financial Aid Office will review the above minimum standards of academic progress annually at the end of every spring semester to determine each applicant's eligibility for aid consideration for the upcoming year (summer, fall, spring). If it is determined that the student does not meet the requirements, he/she will be ineligible to receive financial aid and will be notified accordingly.