Skip to page content
Return to Top

Take the steps to begin your journey:

Step 1: VisitStep 2: AdmissionsStep 3: ScholarshipsStep 4: HousingStep 5: Financial AidStep 6: First Year

Gainful Employment

In accordance with federal guidelines, a student receiving Title IV assistance must enroll in an educational program which leads to a degree, such as an associate, bachelor's, graduate, or professional degree.  OR the educational program must prepare the student for "Gainful Employment in a recognized occupation",  which are referred to as "GE Programs", and typically encompasses ‘certificate’ programs which do not culminate into a degree.  GE programs must be identified and reported to the U.S. Department of Education.

TSU  offers educational programs which will lead to a degree, as above, and students are eligible to receive Title IV assistance. Additionally, the Teacher Certification program is the only ‘certificate’ program at TSU in which the student may receive Title IV assistance but does not fall under the purview of a GE program since the GE provisions for the Teacher Certification program require that “only teacher certification programs that result in a certificate awarded by a school” are to be considered GE programs; at TSU, the Teacher Certificate is awarded by the State of Texas (not TSU) and, therefore, is not required to be reported to the Department of Education as a GE program.