Skip to page content
Return to Top

Take the steps to begin your journey:

Step 1: VisitStep 2: AdmissionsStep 3: ScholarshipsStep 4: HousingStep 5: Financial AidStep 6: First Year

Frequently Asked Questions

Expand AllContract All

What are my chances of receiving financial aid?
The only way to determine your eligibility for financial aid is to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  The likelihood of receiving some form of financial assistance is probably better than most students and their families anticipate.
What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?
To receive maximum consideration for aid at Tarleton State University, the FAFSA must be submitted to the central processer by March 15th each year.  Students requesting scholarship consideration must submit their requests to the Scholarship Office by February 15 of that year.
What are my options if I am unable to file my taxes in time to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by TSU's Priority Deadline Date of March 15th?
You may complete your first FAFSA using estimated income and then three weeks after you have filed your taxes, you can go to: and make corrections using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. The date your first FAFSA was received by the central processer is the date used by the school.
Is there a maximum income level that will disqualify me from receiving financial aid?
Most people have the misconception that income is the only factor in determining need for financial aid assistance.  However, other variables are considered such as:  family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, savings, investments, and various other allowances to the family's income and assets.
Are there other forms that I can fill out in order to be considered for any other grants?
The FAFSA is the only application required in order to be considered for all grant programs available through processing by the financial aid office.
In order to receive financial aid do I have to apply every year?
Yes.  In order to receive consideration for eligible programs you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. File the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1st
If my parents are divorced or separated, which parent do I put on the FAFSA?
You should provide information from the parent that provided you with the most support in the past year.  If the parent who provided you with the most support has remarried, your step-parent's information must also be provided on the FAFSA.
Why can't I apply for financial aid without using my parent's information on the FAFSA form?
When you apply for federal student aid, your answers to certain questions will determine whether you are considered dependent on your parents or independent.  If you are considered dependent on your parents, you must report their income and assets as well as your own.  If you think you have unusual circumstances that would make you independent, talk to a financial aid counselor.
What happens if I drop a class?
If you drop a class prior to the census date, you may be responsible for repayment of the difference between the amount of money you received and the amount specified for the new enrollment status.  If you drop a class, you must make sure you remain in compliance with our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy.
What happens if I withdraw?
If you withdraw completely or drop below 1/2 time status, you may be responsible for repaying money received from financial assistance.
Will the financial aid transfer from one school to another?
No. Financial aid does not transfer automatically from school to school.  Student planning to transfer to another school should contact the Financial Aid Office at both schools to find out what is required.
What is verification? And why was I chosen?
You should save all records and all other materials used in completing the FAFSA because you may need them later to prove that the information you reported is correct.  This process is called verification.
Many students are selected for verification randomly by the federal processor.  However, verifications are also chosen due to mistakes and important data missing on the form such as those questions pertaining to income.
Why is the maximum amount of loan money limited?

Students applying for the Federal Direct Loan are subject to annual and aggregate loan limits that are based on the academic level, dependency status, and length of their academic program. According to federal regulations, your Federal Direct Loan award must be issued in two equal disbursements during the academic year. If you plan to enroll for multiple terms, your loan and award will be issued in equal disbursements.

What if my financial assistance is not available by the due date for my tuition?
Students may apply for a short-term loan to help pay for certain semester educational expenses.
Cost of Attendance (COA)
The total amount of it will cost you to go to school-- usually stated as a yearly figure. COA includes tuition and fees; room and board (or a housing and food allowance); and allowances for books, supplies, transportation, loan fees and dependent care. It also includes miscellaneous and personal expenses, including an allowance for the rental or purchase of a personal computer; costs related to a disability; and reasonable costs for eligible study-abroad programs. For students attending less than half-time, the COA includes tuition and fees and an allowance for books, supplies, and dependent care expenses, and can also include room and board for up to three semesters or the equivalent at the institution. But no more than two of those semesters, or the equivalent, may be consecutive. Contact a financial aid counselor at the school you're planning to attend if you have any unusual expenses that might affect your COA.
Do I have to enroll full-time to receive financial aid?
No. Pell Grant requires only one credit; Federal Direct Student Loans and work-study require a minimum of six credits.
What can I do if my family's financial situation changes?
TSU has a special appeal form if your circumstances change. Changes such as death, divorce, loss of job or benefits, or a change in income can be reviewed for additional grant and loan eligibility.
My parents do not claim me as a tax exemption. Can I be an independent student?
IRS and the Department of Education definition of a "dependent" are not the same. Tax exemption status and your resources are not considered when determining your independent status. Your status as a dependent or independent student is determined by your responses in the Student Status section on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Respond carefully to these questions.
Is there a deadline for processing financial aid?
The last date by which the Student Financial Aid Office can process financial aid for the fall semester is December 1st and the last date for the spring semester is April 27th.
When will I receive financial aid award notification for the upcoming 2014-15 school year?
If you will be a new, in-coming freshman this fall, you will receive award notification sometime in late April (prior to Orientation in May). If you are a returning student, you should receive award notification sometime in late May-early June.