Frequently Asked Questions
Will I be able to find a job after graduation?
We hope so. But it depends on many factors including the economy, your grades, and whether or not you have engaged in activities that make you competitive. Let's look at actual job ads:
OK, so how well does your resume and transcript indicate that you are qualified to do any of these things? Have you taken and excelled in a GIS course? Have you engaged in research or an internship in which you analyzed data, prepared reports, recorded measurements, conducted surveys and kept precise records? Do you know what all the terms in those ads mean? Is someone willing to write a letter of recommendation documenting that you preformed those tasks exceptionally well? Note that simply having a degree not qualify you for this position. This holds true for ALL jobs, not just this one. Start looking at job ads NOW so you know what you need to do to be qualified for the career you want.
What do I need to know to get through the program?
Can I get a graduate assistantship?
To be eligible for an assistantship the student must meet the following qualifications:
- Be accepted into the graduate program
- Possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.75 on the last 60 hours of undergraduate study
- Maintain a 3.0 graduate GPA
- Enroll for at least 6 semester hours
- Have acceptable English language speaking skills
- Meet the general requirements for Employment at Tarleton State University applicable to all employees