!Your version of Internet Explorer is not supported. Please upgrade your browser to enhance your user experience. Firefox and Chrome are viable alternatives if you cannot upgrade your browser to Internet Explorer 9 or above!
M.M. in Music Education
The Master of Music degree in Music Education consists of 36 hours with two tracks, thesis or non-thesis. Since it is a completely online program, you are flexible to work around your work schedule. Courses are 8 weeks long, instead of a full semester, so that the end-of-course papers, exams, and projects do not coincide and conflict with the end-of-semester programs and performances that are typically required of music educators.
Our Master's program is offered with a thesis or a non-thesis track option. The purposes of both the thesis defense and the curriculum project presentation are to allow you to demonstrate your ability to combine research methods and a topic of interest in a scholarly format that is consistent/acceptable to the discipline, produce a work that contributes to the discipline, and demonstrate the competency necessary of graduate work in regards to scholarly activity.
Discover your options.
Candidates pursuing the thesis option in music education must prepare a thesis proposal. Candidates must defend their thesis before a committee of graduate music faculty. They are also expected to give evidence of a thorough knowledge of all related literature, research materials, methodological steps, and findings documented in the completed thesis.
Candidates pursuing the non-thesis option must prepare a project proposal and have it approved by both the faculty member sponsoring the project and the graduate faculty. The curriculum project may be curricular, pedagogical, or creative, but comparable to the thesis in scope. You must prepare a presentation of their project to be presented before a committee of graduate music faculty.
Designed with you in mind.
This degree program is designed for working music educators and musicians seeking career advancement. Graduates can follow an elementary or secondary music education emphasis.
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC)
- National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
Not what you were looking for? Tarleton State University offers over 100 different degrees and certifications that may be of interest to you, including:
Plan Your Future
Request more information about this program in:
- To provide working practitioners the opportunity to earn an online degree in music education with a faculty representing diverse areas of experience and expertise.
- To prepare students for further graduate study at the doctoral level and/or careers in music education.
- To challenge students to increase their knowledge of theory, history, and aesthetics of music, and to provide appropriate opportunities for them to develop a high level of cognitive musical and creative skills.
- To equip students with analytical, conceptual, historical, technical, and pedagogical skills to be successful in their chosen field.
- To facilitate student growth and development as leaders in the profession of music education, and as contributors, through research, to the profession and discipline of music education.
|MUSI||5533 OR 5357||Ethnomusicology OR Seminar in Music of the United States|
|MUSI||5340||Foundations of Music Education|
|MUSI||5341||Research in Music Education I|
|MUSI||5342||Research in Music Education II|
|MUSI||5343 OR 5344||Advanced Elementary Music Pedagogy OR Advanced Secondary Music Pedagogy|
|MUSI||5645||Curriculum Project (For non-thesis option)|
|MUSI||5388||Thesis 3 (For thesis option)|
- The thesis track consists of ten, three-credit courses (30 semester hours) and six hours of formal thesis work.
- The non-thesis track consists of ten, three-credit courses (30 semester hours) and six hours of curricular project.
For more information, check out our degree plan.
In addition, our program offers course rotation during the different semesters. For more information on our course rotation and when courses are offered, please look at the M.M. in Music course rotation.