Tarleton State University welcomes students who transfer credits from other universities or neighboring community colleges. Persons seeking elementary certification will work toward the Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies. Students will be assigned to a specific academic advisor to evaluate transfer credits and plan a course of study. Transfer students should contact the Department of Curriculum and Instruction (E.J. Howell Building Room 320; phone 254-968-9097).
Transfer students working toward secondary and all-level certification will be advised in the academic department of their major. Information about education courses and all-level certification requirements may be obtained in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction (E.J. Howell Building, Room 320; Phone 254-968-9097).
Policies governing the acceptance of transfer course work for credit toward teacher certification include the following:
1. All transfer students are required to submit official transcripts to the University Admissions Office for analysis. The Certification Officer will require official transcripts to develop certification plans for students who already hold a bachelor’s degree.
2. Transfer students from other Texas institutions and institutions in other states are expected to meet Tarleton’s program requirements for certification.
3. Academic advisors and the Certification Officer reserve the right to disallow course work on certification plans that is more than seven years old. Because of changing certification requirements, it is possible that previous course work taken for certification will not count toward the current application.
4. Typically, students will not be allowed to transfer more than three hours of professional developmental (education) course work into the program at Tarleton and will be required to meet all institutional requirements for the degree and certification.
5. A minimum of one-third of the semester hours required in each teaching field or areas of emphasis sought must be completed at Tarleton.
6. Individuals who have a degree but are not certified will be evaluated for certification requirements by the Certification Officer (Educator Preparation Services, Suite 101, Mathematics Building); phone 254-968-9817). The Certification Officer also evaluates credentials of individuals with expired certificates. A $50 transcript evaluation fee will be charged.
Note: Individuals who have a degree and a valid teaching certificate from another state and who seek Texas teacher certification must apply directly to the State Board for Educator Certification to obtain their credentials.