Return to Top
To qualify as an Applied Learning Experience in Internship/Practicum:
- Internship Criteria:
- To be eligible for applied learning internships, students must have completed at least 30 semester credit hours
- The internship experience must include a minimum cumulative total of 225 hours
- Each student must have at least (a) an on-site supervisor and (b) a representative of the Office of Internships or a faculty/staff member to serve as the applied learning supervisor.
- Applied learning credit cannot be granted retroactively, e.g., for prior internships or work experiences
- Ongoing places of employment cannot qualify as internships; however, students can submit proposals to develop their current places of employment into internship sites
- Self-owned businesses cannot qualify as internships sites for these business owners.
- Practicum Criteria:
- Practicum is defined as a course or student exercise/project involving practical experience applied to theoretical study.
- Students must be enrolled in the class offering the practicum
- Students must spend a minimum of 75 hours working on out of classroom experience/projects. Instructional time on theoretical content cannot be counted towards this limit.
- Project work/experience must be under the supervision of the course instructor or a qualified third-party client.
- Final project/artifact will require an outside evaluation by a third party/expert in the field not involved in the instruction of the course.