About Upward Bound
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school
- Academic, financial, and personal career counseling
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events
- Tutorial services
- Information on postsecondary educational opportunities
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams
- Career Internships to expose participants to careers requiring a postsecondary degrees
- Upward Bound is most beneficial to students who participate fully in both the Academic Year component and the Summer Residential Component.
Upward Bound Meets twenty (20) Saturday mornings, September through May. Enrichment Classes include composition, literature, science, math, and foreign language. Tutorial assistance is provided as needed.
Upward Bound also sponsors cultural and social activities during the academic year. Additional special activities include a Self-Esteem Building activities, a College Fair, and a Career Fair.
A unique aspect of Upward Bound is the Summer Residential Component. Students live on the Tarleton State University Campus for the first summer semester -- returning home most weekends.
Students attend classes in composition, literature, foreign language, science, and mathematics as well as unusual electives. Many cultural, social, and recreational activities complete the summer plans.
The Summer Bridge program is also offered to participants who have graduated from high school and are accepted for a higher educational placement in the fall. Upward Bound pays for these students to take college courses for college credit that may be transferred to the college of their choice.
- De Leon
- Walnut Springs